Annan Athletic 1-0 Berwick Rangers

Jordan McGregor' who was recalled to the Berwick Rangers side on Saturday.
Jordan McGregor' who was recalled to the Berwick Rangers side on Saturday.

Berwick Rangers’ five match unbeaten run was ended when they went down to a slender 1-0 defeat at Annan on Saturday.

Rangers had not conceded a goal in their last four games, and it looked as if they might extend it to five.

But Matthew Flynn popped up to net the winner just seven minutes from the end of normal time, and the defeat saw John Coughlin’s side drop from seventh to eighth in the Scottish Second Division table.

In general this was a match Berwick controlled for long periods, but they have often failed to meet with any success at Galabank and this was another example.

With Brian Martin suspended - he was sent off late in the game against Stirling Albion the previous week - Jordan McGregor returned to first team action as manager John Coughlin continued with his recent policy to play three at the back.

Callum Crane and Flynn both shot over in the first ten minutes before Darren Lavery had a shot saved by Hart.

On 22 minutes Peter Weatherson went close for Annan when he hit a post with a free kick, before Barry Cuddihy and Rabin Omar shot wide and high.

But Berwick saw plenty of the ball and Crane again tried his luck from outside the box, the effort being collected by Hart.

Rangers’ Blair Henderson managed to find the net with a lob five minutes before the break, only to have the effort ruled out after being adjudged offside and at half-time it remained 0-0.

The second half got off to a slow start with the defences on top and neither side making any inroads on the opposition goal. It wasn’t until the hour mark that either goalkeeper was tested, with a shot from Lavery saved by Hart.

This came at the end of a four-man move which had started in their own half, but Lavery’s final strike was smothered by the home keeper.

Ewan McNeil then shot over for Berwick as the visitors went in search of a winner.

But Annan showed that they could be dangerous as well, with two efforts inside a minute. First of all Weatherson pulled a shot wide before Josh Todd had a shot saved by Kevin Walker.

At the other end Finn Graham shot over for Berwick with Michael McKenna going close just a few seconds later.

Todd then shot over for Annan before Walker again saved from Flynn, who produced a stinging shot.

This only served as a warning, for on on 83 minutes the deadlock was eventually broken when Flynn found the net for the home side, his shot from outside the box going in off a post after taking a pass from Omar.

In an effort to try and force something late on, manager John Coughlin made a couple of substitutions, but it was to nio avail, as the home side hung on to take the points.

The defeat leaves Rangers eighth in the table on 36 points, one ahead of Arbroath and nine in front of East Stirling.

ANNAN ATHLETIC - Hart, Jago (Osadolor 78), Watson, Breslin, Omar, Cuddihy, Flynn (Sloan 85), McNiff, Todd, Weatherson, Guy (McStay 64).

BERWICK RANGERS - K Walker, McNeil, Wilson (Cunningham 85), Fairbairn, McGregor, Crane, Graham (Stevenson 87), Notman,McKenna, Henderson, Lavery.

Referee: Alan Newlands.

Attendance: 430.