All three Berwickshire sides involved in South of Scotland Cup ties knocked out

Eight of the 11 Borders sides in action in the South of Scotland Cup’s second round on Saturday, including all three Berwickshire teams involved, were knocked out.

By Darin Hutson
Tuesday, 23rd November 2021, 5:38 pm
Updated Tuesday, 23rd November 2021, 5:38 pm
Hawick United's Adam Beattie winning the ball against Greenlaw (Photo: Bill McBurnie)
Hawick United's Adam Beattie winning the ball against Greenlaw (Photo: Bill McBurnie)

Two of the three Borders sides that made it through after playing did so at the expense of other teams from the region, the two derbies contested seeing Linton Hotspur run up a 4-0 win at Gala Hotspur and Hawick United claim a 2-1 home victory against Greenlaw.

The West Linton outfit’s scorers were Connor Brunton, Ali Donnelly, Ben Gracie and Euan Louden.

Dylan Ellins and Lewis Muir were United’s scorers, with William Smillie replying for the Berwickshire side.

Sign up to our daily Berwickshire News Today newsletter

Jodie Easdon putting in an aerial challenge for Hawick United against Greenlaw (Photo: Bill McBurnie)

The only other Borderers to secure progress on a playing pitch were Langlee Amateurs, courtesy of a 4-1 away win against Avendale in Strathaven in South Lanarkshire.

Stuart Noble and Des Sutherland scored two each for Langlee.

Tweeddale Rovers were awarded an away walkover against Selkirk Victoria, though, as their prospective hosts were unable to fulfil that fixture.

The Peebles side’s colts had their fixture away to Langholm Legion awarded as a walkover for their hosts, however, because they were unable to muster a team.

New Greenlaw manager Jay Paterek watching his side being beaten by Hawick United (Photo: Bill McBurnie)

Gala Fairydean Rovers’ amateurs have pulled out of the competition.

The other Borderers knocked out of the cup were Coldstream Amateurs and Kelso Thistle, beaten 4-2 by Machan United and 7-3 by Loanhead Miners respectively at home, along with Hawick Legion, Stow, Newtown and Duns after losing away to Danderhall Miners’ Welfare 4-2, Penicuik 6-5, Tranent 4-0 and Trinity 2-1 in that order.

Hawick Colts’ planned home game against Spittal Rovers was put back until this coming Saturday, with kick-off at 1.30pm, due to coronavirus protocols.

It being a cup weekend, only six Border Amateur Football Association league games were played and one of those, Netherdale Thistle’s home C league fixture against St Boswells, was abandoned part of the way through.

The two other C league games played were a 3-3 draw for Highfields United at home to Berwick Colts and a 5-5 draw for Lauder hosting Eyemouth United.

Ancrum lost 5-2 at home to Hawick Waverley in the association’s A league.

In the B league, Earlston Rhymers beat Jed legion 4-0 at home and Tweedmouth Amateurs won 2-1 away at Leithen Rovers.