Fishermen teach students a lesson in close encounter

Johnny Simpson for Eyemouth Utd against Galafairydean at Eyemouth.
Johnny Simpson for Eyemouth Utd against Galafairydean at Eyemouth.

Heriot Watt University 1

Eyemouth 2

Eyemouth travelled to Edinburgh on Saturday to face Heriot Watt at Riccarton.

A tough encounter was in store for the Fishermen as Heriot Watt are favourites to bounce straight back up to the East of Scotland premier division come the end of the season.

Eyemouth gaffer Carl Hudson welcomed back Andrew Hastie and Keiran Ainslie to the heart of his defence along with Stuart Coyle, who went straight up front replacing the injured Steven Shennan.

Eyemouth started the game in dominant style, pinning the Heriot Watt rear guard back straight from the off. As a result of this they could have taken an early lead but Ross Aitchison’s shot was easily gathered by the Heriot Watt number one.

Richard Baxendale was next to test the home keeper but his free kick drifted just past the post.

As the half continued the home team gradually started to get back into the game and could have taken the lead had it not been for some heroic defending from both Keiran Ainslie and Sean Simpson.

Eyemouth took a deserved lead from the penalty spot after Aitchison was bundled over, Jonny Simpson standing up to smash the ball home.

The second half commenced and a rejuvenated home team took to the field and had the United back line under immediate pressure. Heriot Watt continued to have the bulk of the play but failed to create any real chances.

Eyemouth soon began to exert pressure of their own and were rewarded with their second goal of the game. Substitute Shennan was sent clear up the left and his pin point cross found Coyle who headed home.

With 10 minutes to go Eyemouth’s ill discipline reared its ugly head again as Baxendale was shown his second yellow of the game for dissent.

The home team brought a goal back as Hastie headed into his own net but Eyemouth managed to hold on for a vital three points.

Eyemouth United: Gall, J Ainslie, Baxendale, Hastie, K Ainslie, S Simpson (Shennan 45), G Wales, Hebdon (Adamson 76), Aitchison, J Simpson, Coyle (Walker 82). Subs: Windram, M Wales.

•It’s derby day for Eyemouth United on Saturday when they welcome Berwick Rangers Reserves to Warner Park for the return East of Scotland first division fixture after battling to a 2-2 draw in their initial meeting in October.

It’s little over a month since the two teams last met, that match was a great advert for this level of football, the Reserves snaring a point with a late Shaun Hill penalty.

That draw forms part of the Reserves’ current five match unbeaten run, but they were inactive last weekend when Eyemouth gained a confidence-boosting 2-1 victory away to second in the table Heriot Watt University.

Since the teams’ last meeting, Eyemouth have signed goalkeeper Jonathan Gall from Berwick Rangers. Gall was a regular on the first team substitutes’ bench at the beginning of the season though never actually turned out for the Reserves.

Saturday’s game starts at 2pm.