Eyemouth disappoint in final

Tweeddale Rovers and Eyemouth battle itn out in the Walls Cup final.
Tweeddale Rovers and Eyemouth battle itn out in the Walls Cup final.

Tweeddale Rovers 5

Eyemouth United 0

by Kevin Janiak

WHEN two teams have fought their way to a cup final, you would expect them to put in a bit of effort to try to win it.

In Eyemouth’s case, though, following comprehensive victories over Chirnside Colts (3-0) and Hawick United (7-0), they’d have been as well not turning up for Saturday’s Walls Cup final at Gordon, such was the apparent ambivalence shown by the team.

There were nice individual touches shown by some of the players, but compared to Tweeddale, they showed little effort to retrieve the ball when they didn’t have it, and even less ability to keep it when they did.

Rovers went ahead in the fourth minute – a beautiful piece of finishing by star man Grant Wilson, guiding Calum Frame’s whipped cross over the head of Adam Stobart in the Eyemouth goal for his 36th goal of the season.

Wilson continued to shine, just missing Nick Rodgers’ head with a free kick and sending a long-range shot just wide.

For the Fishermen, early substitute Paul Black was showing the most will in going forward, but his efforts were largely quashed by the solid Rovers back four, in particular manager Jimmy Moffat’s son Blair.

Somehow, though, the score remained at 1-0 at half-time.

The second-half started in much the same way as the first and badly for Eyemouth – with a Tweeddale goal.

Frame was once again the provider, Chris Cassidy this time adding the finishing touches.

For the rest of the half, the closest Eyemouth got to a sniff of a goal was a spectacular Tom Ireland effort from an Andrew Patterson corner which went wide.

But Rovers ensured the cup was going their way with three goals in the last eight minutes.

Firstly, Cassidy notched his second, beating Stobart after taking the ball into the box. Then Rodgers got a deserved counter three minutes later as the Eyemouth defence looked like they had given up. Then the livewire Cassidy, on his hat-trick, was disappointed to see Stobart save his next attempt, but Simon Warren netted the rebound.

Tweeddale Rovers: R. Hall, C. Frame, M. Thompson, B. Moffat, F. Moffat, R. Meikle, S. Warren, C. Cassidy, B. Leavy, N. Rodgers and G. Wilson. Subs: J. Lord, R. Evans, R. Moffat, R. Sykes and M. McLeod.

Eyemouth: A. Stobart, T. Ireland, D. Lough, A. Spiers, J. Walker, M. Gillan, D. Dougall, L. Walker, J. Colin, L. Crawford and R. Green. Subs: P. Black, J. Logie, C. Lough, J. Rutherford and A. Patterson.