Eyemouth are pegged back as Streamers exit League Cup

Eyemouth United1


In a weekend that saw both Gretna 2008 and Leith Athletic gain promotion to the Premier Division, Eyemouth’s ambition of finishing as high as possible in what has been a very successful league campaign was still the main priority.

On Saturday they entertained Craigroyston at Warner Park. Hudson rang in the changes following last Saturday’s poor show against Gala Fairydean. Sword came in for the injured Shennan whilst Baxendale and Wales regained their positions at the expense of Hastie and Buchan.

In a very tight first half both defences were on top form and were cancelling each other out. Eyemouth were unlucky not to go into the interval with the lead, J Simpson having a couple of opportunities thwarted by the away keeper. The best chance of the half fell to Keiran Ainslie - Coyle had a shot cleared off the line following a corner, the rebound fell to Ainslie 10 yards out, but his ‘Huddlestone’ esk shot was tipped round the post brilliantly by the Craigroyston number one when it looked destined for the top corner.

The second half started with Eyemouth having another glorious chance within five minutes of the restart, Walker whipping a ball to the front post which missed Sword’s head by a matter of millimetres. Craigroyston were also creating decent opportunities but were finding the returning Avery in top form.

Eyemouth took the lead on 55 minutes. United’s skipper Windram played a sublime ball to J Simpson who placed his shot well past the onrushing keeper.

Craigroyston, now looking for the equaliser, began to stretch Eyemouth and Avery was called into action several times to keep the away team at bay. J Simpson could have doubled United’s lead following Walker’s cross but was only able to flick his header narrowly over the bar.

With five minutes left to play Craigroyston were awarded a penalty after Avery brought down the Craigroyston number 10. The spot-kick was the duly despatched to level the score.

Honours even in this very tight contest with a draw a fair result. Hudson can take many positives from the game with his side playing so much better than in previous weeks. Eyemouth will travel to Home Park to take on local rivals Coldstream on Saturday, kick off 2.30pm.

Eyemouth United: Avery, J. Ainslie, Wales, K. Ainslie, Baxendale, S. Simpson (Wilson 65), J. Simpson, M. Windram, Coyle, Sword (R. Aitchison 60), Walker (Buchan 80). Unused subs: Adamson, G. Windram.


Preston Athletic2

COLDSTREAM’S season was effectively ended when they were knocked out of the League Cup by Martin Laidlaw’s late winner for Premier Division strugglers Preston Athletic.

The home team started well and took the lead midway through the first half when captain David Brown’s free-kick from 20 yards went over the wall and into the roof of the net. Preston goalkeeper Gilpin should perhaps have done better, but his team levelled shortly before half time when unmarked defender Craig Scott headed home a free-kick from close range.

There was controversy just before the interval when the referee awarded Preston an indirect free-kick inside Coldstream’s six-yard box for what he deemed was a pass-back from Paul Crawford, but Streamers keeper Scott Dowie charged out to make a superb save.

The visitors, managed by former Coldstream player and boss Stevie Myatt, edged the second half and Stuart Miller shot wide when through on goal. Kenny Young came close for Coldstream before Laidlaw grabbed the winner despite appeals for offside.

Coldstream: Dowie, Crawford, Brown, Murie, Hamilton, Hebdon, Young, Hunter, Johnson, Guy, Zavaroni (Gallagher).