Duns win nine goal thriller

DUNS 5 BERWICK RANGERS RESERVES 4: GARY Waddell completed a hat-trick with the last kick of the game to take the points for Duns in what turned out to be a thrilling East of Scotland League First Division encounter against Berwick Rangers Reserves at the Berwickshire High School on Wednesday night.

The Dingers found themselves two goals down despite hitting the bar no less thasn three times. However, they fought back in determined fashion and two goals apiece from Garry Waddell and Kieran Lee saw them go 4-2 in front.

Just before the break Berwick reduced the leeway with a well taken goal.

Both sides had a player sent off in the second half but it was Berwick took advantage to level the scores direct from a free kick.

The Dingers were not to be outdone, however, and Garry Waddell completed his hat-trick with the last kick of the game to secure the points.

Berwick’s scorers were Sean Hill (2), Callum Hill and Michael Robinson.

Seconds after kick off, visiting goalkeeper Kieran Beveridge made a one-handed save from James Robertson but it was Berwick who surged into a 2-0 lead with goals by Callum Hill and Michael Robinson.

Two goals inside a minute brought Duns level. Kieran Lee headed the ball through Beveridge’s legs after the keeper patted out another Robertson effort. Next, Waddell outstripped the Rangers’ defence before finding the far corner of the net.

Waddell and Lee both scored again to put Duns 4-2 up. When Gary Renton and Mark Weatherburn, in turn, shook the crossbar, Berwick were on the rack.

Right on half-time, Shaun Hill bundled in Robinson’s pass for the seventh goal in 45 minutes and breathed fresh life into Berwick’s cause.

A defensive reshuffle helped the Reserves open the second half with renewed vigour. They were rewarded with a deserved equaliser around 68 minutes when Shaun Hill scored with a powerful free kick.

Each side was reduced to ten men as substitutes Sean Spoor and Darren Bowie were sent off together after a heated exchange near the halfway line.

Duns clinched victory when Dougie Brydon sent the ball through to Waddell who gave Beveridge no chance of stopping his perfectly aimed volley.


Duns: Dixon, G Renton (Spoor), Ryan Burns, McHoul, D Brydon, Keenan, Waddell, Stewart, Weatherburn (B Chisholm), J Robertson, Lee.

Berwick Rangers Reserves: Beveridge, Grieve, A.Renton (Bowie), Brown, Rafferty (Cowan), Kerr (Ross Burns), Dargo, S Hill, Young, Robinson, C Hill