Duns secure hard fought victory over RHC Cougars


By The Newsroom
Tuesday, 2nd April 2013, 10:32 am


Duns travelled to Edinburgh on Saturday for their final away league fixture of the season, and recorded a hard-fought victory .

In the first half Duns were confined to mainly defensive duties as RHC launched attack after attack at the visitors. The home line remained intact, however, in a gutsy display of defensive resolve, with every player making tackle after tackle. RHC opened the scoring after four minutes with a simple penalty.

Sign up to our daily Berwickshire News Today newsletter

Perhaps ‘simple penalty’ is the wrong phrase to use, because the RHC kicker missed three absolute sitters before half time. Had he kicked any one of these, his team would have won the match.

Just after the midway point in the half, an RHC move broke down in midfield, a few metres inside the Duns half. Andrew Connor got a foot to the loose ball and hacked ahead, the ball crossed the home line, chased by Andrew Baxter and the covering RHC full back, and it was Baxter who won the race to touch down. Danny Lamb kicked the conversion.

After half an hour, from a break by the ever-abrasive Chris Williamson, RHC conceded a penalty and Danny Lamb increased the Duns lead by three points.

Duns were reduced to 14 men for five minutes on either side of half time when Cammy Hill was sent to the sin bin, but even short-handed the visitors increased their advantage. Danny Lamb struck a second penalty on the stroke of half time to give Duns the lead by 13-3 at the interval.

Early in the second half RHC’s full back scored a fine individual try in the corner.

Undaunted, Duns then won a scrum against the head on the half way line, and Tom Swan - making his First XV debut, drew the tackle from the last defender, then popped a pass to David Hutchison who scored in the corner.

RHC hit back with two tries and things were looking bleak for Duns.

Duns put some phases of play together and Tom Swan crossed for try number three between the posts. Danny Lamb’s conversion attempt rattled back off the bar, and Duns held a one-point lead.

The closing minutes were spent doing defensive chores, as RHC put everything into trying to find a match-winning score but the Dingers held on.

Duns: Euan Reed; Andrew Baxter, Ross Turner, Stuart Thomson and David Hutchison; Tom Swan and Danny Lamb; Scott McCraw, Cammy Hill, Andrew Connor, Duncan Budge, Scott Turnbull, John Walker, James Thorburn and Chris Williamson. The replacements were Neil Graham, Nathan Chisholm and Ian Watson.