Duns go nap to win title with 100% home league record

Duns Amateurs5

By The Newsroom
Thursday, 5th May 2011, 2:50 pm

Leithen Rovers1

Duns Ams won the Division A league title on Saturday after beating their closest challengers Leithen Rovers 5-1 in front of a large Gavinton crowd with a fantastic team effort.

Duns started brightly and took an early lead through Grant Keenan, who collected a deep James Brydon cross, brought the ball under control and struck the it into the near top corner. Mark Wilson in the Rovers goal got a hand to the shot but couldn’t keep Keenan’s effort out. Duns almost doubled their lead but Wilson saved well with his feet from a close range Burns effort.

Sign up to our daily Berwickshire News Today newsletter

Within minutes Leithen Rovers drew level when Duns tried to play the ball along the edge of the box and got caught out by Derek Scott who squared the ball to Alan McMath who fired an unstoppable shot into the roof of the net.

Rovers were lifted by this and started to put pressure on Duns with a few corners but were unable to test Lumsden in the Duns goal.

With half time fast approaching Leithen Rovers thought they had been awarded a penalty but the referee correctly gave an indirect free kick in the box for obstruction, and with the resulting free kick Rovers struck the wall and Duns managed to clear the danger.

With the last attack of the half Duns won a corner, James Brydon swung the ball in, Douglas Brydon powered a header towards goal and the alert Dez Chisholm’s flicked header took the ball past Wilson.

Duns came out for the second half all guns blazing and blew Leithen Rovers away with three goals in a 20 minute spell.

The first came from the boot of James Robertson when Duns were awarded a free kick 20 yards from goal, and Robertson stepped up to curl in a sublime strike into the top corner giving the keeper no chance.

Duns were now playing some cracking football and creating plenty of chances, but Wilson was doing his best to keep the score with a string of fine saves. Duns got the fourth goal their play deserved with James Brydon claiming his third assist of the game, Dez Chisholm powering home another header at the near post from a corner from the left.

Duns were rampant at this point and within a few minutes it was 5-1 when Grant Keenan won the ball near the half way line and played a defence splitting pass to set Steven Burns through on goal. Burns raced through to round the keeper and roll the ball into the empty net.

With 20 minutes to go and the game won Duns made a triple substitution for everyone to get a run out and chance to play in the title decider. With these changes there was no let up from a home side that was pushing for more goals, but were unable to beat Wilson again.

The full time whistle started the title party which went long into the night, Duns were crowned champions with one game to go in a season where they won all 11 home games and only conceded five goals at Gavinton, playing some fantastic football to boot.

Duns now travel to Jedburgh on Saturday for their final league match of the season to take on Jed Legion at Elliot Park with a 2.30pm kick off.



Gordon went down by two goals to nil at Pencaitland’s Park View on Saturday. Goals from the home side’s Dean Woods and Jamie Brown separated the sides.

A derby clash on Tuesday evening between Gordon and relegation-threatened Greenlaw saw Gordon again slip to a disappointing defeat away defeat. The young Greenlaw side, who are currently bottom of the Border Amateur A Division, edged the result and took all three points with a 2-1 win.

Gordon will look to get back to winning ways on Saturday with an away tie to Hawick Waverley in the second round of the Waddell Cup.

Hawick United3


CHIRNSIDE made the early running in this Waddell Cup and took the lead with a penalty.

The Berwickshire side dominated the remainder of the first half, scored a further twice and after the interval grabbed a fourth – and it looked well and truly over for United.

This was not quite the case though, for Rio Rashrash put the homesters back in the hunt when steering a Kevin Strathdee corner kick into the net. Minutes later, United did it all again when Joss Low stabbed home another Strathdee corner kick. United kept their foot on the gas and in the closing stages Strathdee pulled another goal back.

Chirnside had the last say, however, by hitting home a fifth to seal victory.

Earlston Rhymers2

Chirnside Colts5

Chirnside Colts ensured that Earlston Rhymers will be playing C League football next season with an at times scrappy win last Thursday night over a never say die home side.

The visitors could have been a goal up in the first minute when Mark Bolton broke clear but the defender did just enough to ensure the strike went wide.

The Colts pressure continued and a Colin Donaldson shot from the left hit the outside of the post and this feat was repeated by the home side minutes later. The deadlock was broken by the Colts when Walters threw out to Lee Hannan, with he and Donaldson combining well for Hannan to head home at the back post. The lead lasted just over 10 minutes after Earlston stabbed home from close range following a corner. However, just before half time Chirnside regained the lead though a Dan Romanes header following another assist by Donaldson.

The Colts started poorly in the second half and were brought back on level terms when a striker broke clear down the left and slotted home. Chirnside held their nerve though and regained the upper hand, scoring three goals in a fine 15 minute spell.

Mark Bolton found space in the box to drill home, then Dan Romanes got his second with another header and finally Mark Brown got on the score sheet again with a header. Mark Walters ensured the home side would be scoring no more goals with a cracking save which was heading for the top corner after a free kick from 20 yards out.