Duns Colts pay for defensive lapses as visitors complete treble

Duns Colts v Berwick
Duns Colts v Berwick

Duns Colts16

Berwick Colts 27

BERWICK Colts made it three wins out of three against Duns Colts this season when they ran out comfortable winners in this Border Cup first round tie at the Berwickshire High School.

The home team were looking to avenge their two earlier defeats to Berwick in the league this season. Duns kicked off with the wind in their favour, but as with many games this season found themselves behind early on. Berwick’s first score came from a scrum on the home 22 when woeful tackling allowed the visitors to cross the line.

The second score on five minutes came from an interception as the Duns backs tried to run the ball from their own line.

The Colts narrowed the gap on ten minutes when Dom Gin slotted a penalty award when the Berwick pack were found guilty of entering the ruck from the side. The gap was narrowed further when after a good spell of pressure the ball found it’s way out to Iain Sim, who did well to score in the corner as he was almost decapitated by a high tackle in the process of scoring.

Gin reduced the Berwick lead to a single point when he converted his second penalty as the visiting forwards went off their feet at a ruck.

The last 15 minutes of the half saw Duns try to take the lead but errors cost them at the crucial moment and Berwick went in 12-1 up at the break.

Berwick started the second half well and put the home side under pressure. They elected to kick a penalty but it went wide.

From the restart the Duns pack switched off and Berwick ran the ball back from the half way to score almost unopposed. Three tries conceded from poor defence cost Duns the match.

A glimmer of hope for Duns came from some outstanding play by Greg Gillan. Duns started an attack from their own 22, the ball fed out to Angus Webster on the wing. Just when he seemed to be tied up he slipped the ball to Gillan, who set off from his own ten-yard line and as the defender showed him outside. With only a couple of yards to work in he stepped round his flailing arms and scored beside the posts.

Gin had the chance to take the lead with the conversion, but his attempt was blown wide by the strong wind.

The home side tried to get the winning score and with ten minutes left to play were given a numerical advantage when the referee penalised Berwick for foul play and sent one of their pack to the sin bin.

But any prospect of a win were dashed two minutes later when the Berwick pack again found themselves near the home line and from a penalty the quick tap allowed them to go over, again all too easy. Berwick ended the match with another score to win comfortable.

Duns now face Langholm at home this Saturday in the consolation competition. There should be no need for motivation after Langholm had called off the league fixture as the bus was about to leave Duns a few weeks ago.