Duns 53-8 Langholm

Duns run in another try against Langholm. Picture by Billy Gillie
Duns run in another try against Langholm. Picture by Billy Gillie

Duns are off the bottom of the Border Regional Shield mini league after hammering Langholm at The Hardens.

The home side gave a First XV debut to Elliot Paxton at tight-head prop, and Euan Reed played for the first time this season after a dalliance with our neighbours to the east.

Duns opened the scoring after five minutes with a well-struck penalty by Danny Lamb, but Langholm equalised immediately with an even better kick from Niall Cubbon.

The home side then stepped up a gear, and scored three tries in a 15 minute period. Langholm had possession on their own 22, but a great steal by Colin Tait won the ball back for Duns. A ruck was set up, and when the ball reached Hayden Martin at stand off he dummied his opposite number and scored untouched by the posts. Danny Lamb converted.

Langholm were reduced to 14 men when a forward was sin-binned for persistently slowing down the ball at the ruck. Danny Lamb took a quick tap penalty, and had the power to drive over the line for try number two.

On the half hour mark Hayden Martin scored his second try, and it was almost a carbon copy of the first.

Perhaps lulled into the feeling that it would be plain sailing from there on, Duns relaxed and allowed Langholm into the game for the remainder of the half. They scored one try in this period, from the talismanic Niall Cubbon.

Duns scored early in the second half, to put paid to any thoughts Langholm may have had of staging a revival. From a scrum on the visitors’ 22 Richard Hume picked up at number 8 and slipped a pass inside to the supporting Bert Grigg. The flanker made 20 metres but was tap-tackled just short of the line, although he had the presence of mind to realise that as he had not been held in the tackle he could get up and dive over from close range for the bonus point score.

With the match now won, Duns emptied their bench and introduced Jamie Renton, Lewis Craik, Euan Reed and Steven Crawford into the fray.

Next onto the scoresheet was Lewis MacAndrew, who sped away up the right wing after Langholm had spilled the ball just inside the Duns half. Danny Lamb kicked an excellent conversion.

Try number six came courtesy of Danny Lamb, the combative scrum half revelling in the close-quarters stuff. He converted his own score.

Langholm had competed gamely throughout the match, but lost a couple of players to injury and were playing a man short. It was no surprise when Duns scored two tries in the closing five minutes, the first by Euan Reed who just managed to sneak in at the corner.

The final score came after an excellent solo effort by Lewis Craik. He beat a couple of opponents up the left touchline. He then chipped ahead, and Duns won the loose ball and set up a ruck. Danny Lamb set off on a crossfield run, and when his progress was halted he had Craik on his shoulder to touch down for his maiden First XV try. Danny Lamb converted both scores for a personal tally of 23 points.

Duns: Noel Hooke; Lewis MacAndrew, Jamie Semple, Colin Tait and Lewis Hughes; Hayden Martin and Danny Lamb; Scott McCraw, Stewart Calder, Elliot Paxton, Scott Turnbull, John Walker, Bert Grigg, Richard Hume and Graham Letham. Replacements Jamie Renton, Lewis Craik, Euan Reed and Steven Crawford.