Dominant Duns do the derby double on Coldstream

Des Chisholm was among the scroers for Duns
Des Chisholm was among the scroers for Duns

COLDSTREAM 1, DUNS 4: Goals from Mark Weatherburn, Des Chisholm, Sean Spoor and Kieran Lee helped Duns demolish Coldstream at Home Park and complete the double over their Berwickshire rivals in their first season back in the East of Scotland League.

The Dingers were 2-1 winners in the first derby of the season in February, but ran out even more convincing victors in this one-sided First Division encounter played in front of a large crowd. The victory means Duns, who have played one game more, are now just three points behind sixth-placed Coldstream in the table.

Weatherburn headed Neil Oliver’s men in front after six minutes, and although Craig Heugh equalised for Coldstream the visitors restored their lead just before half time thanks to Chisholm’s strike.

Two minutes into the second half Spoor grabbed the third and with just four minutes left Lee put the icing on the cake by rifling home the goal of the game from 25 yards.

“It was a very poor performance,” said Coldstream manager Andrew Gibson. “We can play much better than that, but Duns thoroughly deserved their win.”

Gibson handed recent signing Aaron Punton his first start since the midfielder rejoined the club, while Phil johnson missed out with a back injury. Duns had central defender Doug Brydon back in the starting line-up after he missed the disappointing weekend defeat at Ormiston. Ryan Burns, however, was suspended and there were three others missing from Oliver’s squad.

It did not deter the visitors from making an instant impact. Less than six minutes had been played when Duns took the lead with an incisive attack down the right, Gary Waddell hitting the byline to deliver a pinpoint cross headed home six yards from goal by the lively Weatherburn.

Duns could have been awarded a penalty when Coldstream defender Josh McLeod appeared to impede Chisholm just inside the box, and came close to doubling their lead when Weatherburn released Waddell. The midfielder’s shot from 12 yards skimmed the top of the crossbar.

Quicker to the loose ball, Duns were also the more fluent team in possession throughout the first half, with Grant Keenan pulling the strings in the holding midfield role.

Coldstream equalised against the run of play when captain John Crawford turned to make space for himself just inside the box and unselfishly squared for strike partner Heugh to beat Duns goalkeeper Scott Lumsden from 10 yards.

But it didn’t take Duns long to restore their advantage. Right-back Gary Renton intercepted a pass out from the Coldstream back four and found Chisholm in a threatening position. The midfielder cut in from the left to set up a shooting chance and although he didn’t connect cleanly Streamers goalkeeper Mark Walters could only get a hand to the shot on its way into the far corner of the net.

Coldstream made a change at half time in an attempt to regain a foothold, but found themselves 3-1 down just two minutes into the second half when Spoor was given time and space to send a 20-yard strike low into the corner.

Coldstream full-back Daniel Cornish cleared another attempt off the line and Walters pulled off a good save shortly afterwards, but the home side had chances at the other end too.

Crawford managed to intercept Brydon’s attempt at a headed back-pass to Lumsden, but after going past the goalkeeper ran out of space and screwed his attempt from a tight angle against the outside of the post.

Streamers sub Mitch Simpson then gathered a Crawford flick to run in on goal, only for Lumsden to pull off the save of the match, diving to his left to tip the ball past the post.

Any hope Coldstream had of fighting back ended there, and Duns turned the screw with the goal of the night four minutes from time with a slick passing move down the left. Lee’s 25-yard left-foot strike was unstoppable, curling high into the net of the post to complete an impressive night’s work for the Dingers.


Coldstream: M Walters, J McLeod, D Cornish, P Cowe, M Cornish, M Tait (M Bolton 75), K Neill, A Punton, J Crawford, C Heugh (L Lambert 58), R Skelly (M Simpson 45). Subs not used: R Armstrong, M Allan.

Duns: S Lumsden, G Renton, K Lee, S McHoul, D Brydon, G Keenan, G Waddell (A Douglas 78), S Spoor, M Weatherburn (B Chisholm 87), J Robertson, D Chisholm. Subs not used: J Waugh, S Robertson, M Dixon.