Dingers through to last four of Regional Bowl

Share this article

Gala YM ..................................5Duns .....................................19

DUNS RFC travelled up the Borders to Gala on Saturday for their quarter-final clash in the Regional Section of the Bowl. Gala YM sit second in the East Division two league just behind Broughton so Duns knew that this was not going to be a case of turning up and going through the motions.

The game was played with very heavy conditions underfoot following rain the day before.

Duns kicked off in a very positive way showing signs that they were going to play their normal expansive game with forwards and backs combining well.

With only three minutes on the clock Duns got their first points on the board when Daniel Seed scored in the corner after the ball was shipped quickly wide. Robertson narrowly missed the difficult conversion.

The next ten minutes saw Duns huffing and puffing and not really achieving very much with errors and indecision creeping into the game.

Duns did manage to add further points when Russell Nimmo was on hand to take the scoring pass from Hutchison after a great break from the winger. Robertson duly obliged with the kick.

Duns now were well on top and and dominated play through to half time.

During this good spell Duns scored the try of the match when Barry Hamilton charged over to cross the whitewash under the posts. In the build up there had been some great forward and backs play with the home team running out of defenders. Prior to touching down Hamilton showed the most outrageous dummy and side step making the full back look very foolish. The try converted by Robertson.

Then came the most peculiar moment in the game when James Thorburn was yellow carded for over eagerness at the ruck. If the referee had been positioned better the match official would have noted that the only victim of the terrible crime was a Duns player!!

Duns, a man down, went off at half time with a comfortable 19-0 lead.

Most would think that given the strong finish to the half that Duns would run out comfortable winners but Gala YM certainly had others ideas.

From the start of the half to the final whistle it was the home side who were dominant, spending long periods in possession.

Gala YM showed exactly why there are a force in the league below. For Duns its was a real test and apart from one lapse in concentration which allowed Gala a score out wide, the Dingers were well organised in defence and put up the shutters in midfield where the YM were determined to break through.

This was certainly no pushover for Duns who had to put in a good shift and now face Edinburgh Northern at home next month in the last four.

This week sees Duns return to League duty with their friends Earlston visiting the Hardens. Kick-off is at 3pm.