Dingers Bowl ’em over

editorial image

by Kirsty Smyth


Scoring three tries at Murrayfield on Saturday was a dream come true for 21 year-old David Hutchison, who is slowly coming back down to earth after playing a starring role in an “exceptional weekend” for Duns RFC.

Twenty-one-year-old Hutchison completed a hat-trick of first half tries in Duns’ 30-6 Regional Bowl final win against Strathendrick at the national stadium, and bagged the prestigious man of the match accolade in the process.

The young winger finished all of his tries well to put the game out of sight by half-time, and help bring the Bowl back to Berwickshire after a 12 year absence.

He said: “It’s just an amazing feeling to score three tries in a big match like that - it was a bit of an exceptional weekend!”

Duns impressed from the off in front of a vocal travelling support, effectively putting the game beyond Strathendrick in the first 15 minutes, when they stormed to a 17-3 lead.

“It just all came right on the day,” Hutchison told the Berwickshire News. “We knew we were in good form.

“We didn’t really know anything about Stranthendrick, but I think it was better that way.”

Having already wrapped up the east league with games to spare, the Dingers went into Saturday’s final within touching distance of a record-breaking club double.

“I think we probably did go in slightly the favourites, so there was that pressure,” Hutchison said.

“Standing in the tunnel at Murrayfield waiting, it’s a scary feeling! But the adrenaline kicked in after that and the support was great.

“We played really well in the first half, we used our experience and didn’t let the pressure get to us.”

The majority of the Duns team embarked on their weekend journey to the capital knowing only too well the heart break of a cup final loss, having lost out to a more experienced Aberdeen University side in the Plate final at Murrayfield in 2009.

“To lose a final is a horrible, horrible feeling and those that were there two years ago didn’t want to repeat that,” Hutchison insisted.

To be on the winning side this time out was prize enough for the young player, but to bag three tries in the process was the icing on the cake.

“The rest of the boys had a helping hand in it, but it was nice to finish them off,” he admitted.

“We played really well in the first half. To have won the East One title and now the Regional Bowl final means it has been a great season for us. Hopefully we can push on next year.”

Duns never let Strathendrick settle in the match and got off to a dream start, tallying up a 17-3 lead after just 15 minutes. The early points came from a well-worked try finished by semi-final hat-trick hero, New Zealander Ryan Selkirk, and two Hutchison scores, the first one coming courtesy of a good bounce after a speculative kick by captain Dale Robertson.

By the interval it was 25-6, Hutchison getting try number three to make it 30 for the campaign. Stand-off Sam Greenock had kicked two penalties for Strathendrick, but the West League One contenders never really got going.

Proceedings slowed considerably after the break with both teams sitting back in defence; the only points of the half coming two minutes from time when Duns replacement Dane Ivison crossed the line for a try, and the Dingers cantered to a remarkable win in front of the 500-strong crowd.

Duns RFC president Walter Stobie said he was “absolutely delighted” with the brilliant Dingers’ showing that completed Duns’ first trophy double.

“It was an absolutely fabulous day,” he said.

“It was pretty tense group travelling up there on the bus. You could almost cut the atmosphere with a knife which is not particularly like them - A good lot of them had been there two years ago, and I think they were determined not to lose out again.

“But we were there nice and early, they got settled down, and came out firing - to score four tries in the first half was great!”

Stobie said he was particularly pleased for flanker Dane Ivison, who scored the last try for the Dingers. “His dad and his granddad had flown up from Exeter to be there, so that was brilliant for him,” he explained.

“We had a great day all round, the weather was beautiful, and just as we were arriving back in Duns we heard that our Colts team had won the Gala sevens - that was the perfect icing on the cake.”

As East League champions, Duns will take a step up next season, although the leagues have yet to be finalised.

Stobie explained: “It looks like we’ll be in some kind of national regional league. It’s still to be given the okay but that is the proposal. We’d be stepping up a level without the financial problems of having a completely national league which means you can play in Oban one week and Orkney the next!”

He added: “The proposal is to regionalise it but it will all get settled at the AGM in June.”