Determined Duns through to cup final

Doug Brydon
Doug Brydon

DUNS will play Stirling University in the final of the SFA South Region Challenge Cup after a magnificent 2-1 semi-final win away to Threave Rovers. On a good weekend for Berwickshire teams, there were also wins for Eyemouth and Coldstream.

Doug Brydon and Gary Waddell scored for Neil Oliver’s men, who withstood waves of pressure in the second half to record a memorable win against the odds in Castle Douglas. Last season they were playing in the Border Amateur league, but Duns’ victory over the South of Scotland League leaders books their place in the final of the most prestigious cup competition in East of Scotland football.

Elsewhere, Eyemouth United’s 3-0 win over Ormiston keeps up their promotion challenge in the First Division, while John Crawford notched his 100th and 101st goals in East of Scotland football as Coldstream won 5-2 at Peebles Rovers to reach the quarter-final of the King Cup.

But the result of the day belonged to Duns. Brydon opened the scoring with a header after eight minutes only for Threave to equalise seven minutes later thanks to a diving header from Jamie Struthers.

The home side struck the post ten minutes from the break and put Duns under the cosh in the second half, but goalkeeper Scott Lumsden pulled off a series of great saves.

The longer the game went the more the home side got frustrated and with ten minutes left Waddell ran clear and casually stroked the ball into the net to give Duns the lead. Minutes later Mark Weatherburn might have sealed it for Duns, but mishit his shot with the goal gaping.

Threave threw everything at the Berwickshire side for the remainder of the game, but a determined Duns side held out.

In the First Division, Jonny Simpson, Steven Shennan and Gary Wales were on target for Eyemouth United in a comfortable 3-0 home win over Ormiston to keep Carl Hudson’s men in the promtion hunt.

Third-placed Eyemouth are four points behind Heriot-Watt University having played the same number of games, and both are closing the gap on stumbling leaders Preston Athletic. The East Lothian side were held to a 3-3 draw by Kelso United and have now drawn three and lost one of their past four games. That means Eyemouth are just seven points behind Preston with three games in hand.

Berwick Rangers Reserves fielded three trialists and left Darren Lavery on the bench in their 2-0 defeat to Gala Fairydean at Netherdale. The opening goal arrived in the 43rd minute when Jack Hay burst down the right. Hay’s cross was turned into his own net by unfortunate Berwick defender Josh Hall.

Gala kept the ball for long periods and in the 53rd minute a Craig Tyson through ball released Nightingale, who drew the keeper and slid a pass for Paul Young to tap the ball into the empty net.

The second half was much the same as Gala kept the ball for long periods and in the 53rd Minute a Tyson through-ball released Scott Nightingale, who drew the Berwick goalkeeper and slid a pass for Paul Young to tap the ball into the empty net.

In the King Cup, John Crawford scored twice to hand Coldstream a 5-2 victory at Peebles Rovers in a second-round tie played at the third attempt. The visitors went ahead when Robbie Armstrong’s lofted pass was controlled and side-footed home by Daniel Cornish for his first of the season. Armstrong’s pass then let Crawford break the offside trap and he slotted home his 100th goal in East of Scotland football.

Peebles pulled one back through Scott Watson before half-time, but Coldstream assistant boss Phil Johnson fired home a left-foot to restore the advantage. Peebles fought back with a Craig Edgar goal, but debutant left-back Calum Kerr’s terrific run and cut-back allowed Craig Heugh to smash home the Streamers’ fourth. Crawford bundled home the fifth to book their place in the last eight.