Chirnside hold off Colts rally to progress in cup

Chirnside v Tweedmouth
Chirnside v Tweedmouth

Chirnisde 4

Tweedmouth Colts 2

Two late goals, missed chances and a fantastic goal-line clearance all contributed to help Chirnside into the next round of the Waddell Cup and to see off a very plucky young Tweedmouth Colts side who probably deserved to take the game into extra time.

Chirnside had the upper hand in the first half and really should have gone in at half time with more than a two-goal lead, had it not been for some poor finishing and some fine saves from the Colts’ keeper

The first chance fell to Jack Windram from a Kevin Strachan cross, but the striker hit the bar from 10 yards out. Another chance fell Windram’s way from a great Ryan Purves through ball only for the striker to over elaborate on his finish and ended up lobbing the ball into the keeper’s arms.

A good shot on the turn from Aiden Lauder produced a fine save from the Colts keeper, but Chirnside did eventually break the deadlock from a Greg McRudden corner, Chris Young scoring with a powerful header.

A fine one-two between Jack Windram and Jamie Stobie resulted in Stobie getting a shot away only to scrape the outside of the post.

Ryan Purves got the second from another corner when he reacted quickest to a loose ball to a score with his head.

Tweedmouth had the better of the second half and got their reward as a result of some slack Chirnside play. Their right winger was allowed time to get a cross in and allow their no 9 to score with ease. With Chirnside unable to keep hold of the ball for any length of time it was only a matter of time before Tweedmouth equalised.

It arrived with a great shot from 20 yards which dipped under goalkeeper Johnny Cowe’s bar giving him no chance.

With 10 minutes to go Kevin Strachan took a corner on the right which was flicked on by Duncan Morrison to Jack Windram, who superbly volleyed home and restored the home team’s lead.

But Tweedmouth did not give up. From a goalmouth scramble they would have equalised again had it not been for Stevie Christie diving to make a block on the line a shot from four yards, the ball striking him in an area that would bring tears to a glass eye.

A great piece of play from Keir Blaikie sent Windram through on goal to go from sinner to winner to score his second and Chirnside’s fourth.

Greenlaw 3

West Barns 4

greenlaw spurned a hatful of goal-scoring opportunities and were made to pay the price as they exited the Waddell Cup at the hands of West Barns.

The home side started strongly and created several chances in the first 10 minutes, the best of which went to Adam Smith who saw his header slide inches past the post.

William Smillie then somehow managed to miss from a yard out and other chances went begging before Greenlaw were stung on the half hour by three West Barns goals in the space of five minutes.

Greenlaw cleared their heads but further chances for Burns and Smillie went astray and they remained three adrift at the interval.

Changes were made with 17 year-old Ross Smillie coming on for his debut at full back and the substitution immediately paid dividends when Burns was put through and fired past the keeper into the net.

William Smillie and Burns had further chances but were denied by a combination of poor finishing and good goalkeeping and the home side were caught on the break to go 4-1 down.

Sub Joe Condy pulled a goal back and Toby Culhan made it 4-3 from a corner but a series of chances to grab an equaliser went begging and Greenlaw ran out of time.

Gala Rovers 6

Duns Amateurs 0

Duns Amateurs crashed out of the Waddell Cup with a miserable afternoon, going down by six goals to Gala Rovers.

Des Sutherland scored an incredible double hat-trick to give Gala Rovers a comfortable passage into round three.

The Rovers hitman has now hit 39 goals this season and his latest efforts set up an away clash with Lauder in the next round.

The home side took control of the match early on and only had to wait 10 minutes to open the scoring.

An effort from Callum Jardine came back off the bar and Sutherland was there to pounce inside the six-yard box, before he doubled the lead with a fine individual goal.

On the heavy Netherdale pitch, both teams struggled in the second half, but Gala settled the tie after good build-up play set up Sutherland to fire in the third.

Sutherland took less time to secure his second treble of the game, with all three coming in the final 10 minutes, with the assistance of substitute Shaun Quinn.

Eyemouth Amateurs 5

Coldstream Amateurs 3

Eyemouth Amateurs ran out worthy winners in this high scoring Waddell Cup second round encounter with local rivals Coldstream Amateurs.

A Steve Morrison hat-trick for the visitors wasn’t enough for Coldstream to take anything from the game, and it was Eyemouth who progressed to the third round.

A Jamie Logie brace helped Eyemouth on their way, with Jeff Collin, Andy Patterson and Paul Black all finding the back of the net to ensure Eyemouth’s place in the third round.

It was all level at half time. Eyemouth took the lead on 16 minutes and Coldstream equalised before the break.

But the floodgates opened in the second half for the tie to run out an eight-goal thriller.