SWAN notes

Share this article

LAST week when we had the really awful wind and rain, was a long day for Dick.

He left home at 9.50am to meet someone at the shed. They were bringing in four tiny hedgehogs.

There were several messages on the answer-phone which Dick dealt with asking John to collect an injured pigeon and ringing back a caller who had seen a Guillemot in distress on the beach.

At this point the hedgehogs were delivered and Dick set about checking them in. They only weighed just over 100 grams each so were very young.

They were soon wrapped up on a heat-pad to rest for the day.

He then collected the Guillemot returning to the shed to find that several other Guillemots had also been brought in so he stayed to help John and Donnie check in and house the sudden influx of patients.

He came home then for lunch but he had only been in half an hour when David phoned to ask if he could to go to St Abbs to collect a young Gannet which was with the harbour master (a great chap who had the bird ready for collection) so off he went again.

This was an easy job and within an hour the bird was in a pen and tucking into a meal.

While he was out David phoned again about a bird at Beadnell, giving me a contact phone number. I spoke to a very nice gentleman who said it was NOT a little black and white bird (no Guillemot then) this one was large grey fleck with long beak (a Gannet) but had an injured wing.

He offered to go and bring the bird to his house. I gave a quick lesson on how to grab a Gannet, told him not to do it if he did not feel confident as these birds can be dangerous.

I said we would come and collect it as soon as Dick got back from St Abbs. We set off after a quick coffee only to be called back when we got to the Fenwick turn as the bird was no longer where it had been sighted.

So back home for ten minutes when the phone rang again. The beach had been searched, the bird located and thanks to the grabbing lesson the bird was now resting in his garage. This time Dick set off on his own as he would not need any help.

Then another call, yet another Guillemot. It could be delivered to the shed so I arranged for Dick to phone and let them know when he got back.

So after bringing back the Gannet he also checked in the Guillemot.

He finally he got back home at 8.50pm. A long day but I think he enjoyed it all the same. He was glad he was at work the following day as he doesn’t do so many hours!

Should you find an animal in need of our services, or if you need any advice please phone HQ on (01289) 302882 we are happy to help. You can also email www.swan-trust.org. We are also on Facebook at www.facebook.com/swantrust.

If you would like to donate to the trust or to become a member please contact treasurer, Derek Roughton, Yew Tree Cottage, Branton, Alnwick. NE66 4LW. Telephone (01665) 578365.