Reston Station plans need more detail

The joint bid for money to re-open Reston and East Linton stations on the east coast rail line needs more work.

Scottish Borders Council and East Lothian Council propose contributing 40% of the £7.1 million cost of re-opening the stations and had applied for the Scottish Government’s Stations Fund for the remaining 60%.

This week councillors at Scottish Borders Council’s executive committee were told that bid is still being considered but the group looking at it “concluded that the proposal required more detailed work to be undertaken before a final decision could be made by the group”.

More detail is needed about the design of the proposed station platforms and infrastructure, including roads and car parking.

If the money is forthcoming it is estimated that it will take 12 months to complete the work.