Messages of support continue for Katie MacLean

editorial image
Share this article

THE thoughts and prayers of people across Berwickshire and beyond remain with 14-year-old Katie McLean, who is still critically ill in hospital after being swept into the sea by a 20-foot wave trying to save her friend at Eyemouth harbour last week.

There has been an outpouring of concern for Katie and her family right across the area, with a number of her friends chosing to pay their tributes on social media sites, while others, some who didn’t even know Katie, have contacted ‘The Berwickshire’ to pass on their wishes.

Lisa Rimmer, who was at the beach in Eyemouth when the incident happened last Monday, sent us an email stating: “I simply wanted to say please keep us posted as to the recovery of Katie.

“I too was there with family and friends and it has left a real hole in my heart.

“My thoughts and best wishes go out to Katie’s family and to all involved. It was extremely traumatic and I cannot imagine what they are all going through.

“All I know is I held on to my little six-year-old like there was no tomorrow when I saw what had happened.”

Twitter user Fiona Eastham tweeted ‘The Berwickshire’ at the end of last week saying: “How is Katie? My little girl said a prayer and lit a candle in Edinburgh Cathedral. Love and thoughts with her family.”

There has also been lots of activity on Facebook, with people keen to find out the latest news on Katie and pass on their best wishes to Katie and her family.

Catherine Seaman posted: “My thoughts are with the family. God bless them all.” Isabel McTeer commented: “I’ll pray again tonight for a brave little girl and her family. Keep fighting Katie.”

The Eyemouth High School pupil was swept into the sea as she bravely tried to save her 13-year-old friend Tempany Sylvester who was dragged into the sea by a powerful wave.

Tempany was pulled free by members of the public who quickly mounted a rescue mission but after being bashed against rocks by a barrage of waves Katie lay face down in the water for 20 minutes before being saved and given CPR at the scene.

She was airlifted to Edinburgh Royal Infirmary where she has remained since.

Speculation that Katie has taken unaided breaths after a week in a coma has yet to confirmed by her family or the hosipital.

A spokesperson for NHS Lothian said Katie’s condition was critical but stable.