Man suffers from burns in Innerwick shed blaze

Share this article

A MAN suffered burns in a fire at Innerwick on Sunday afternoon.

Just after midday on Sunday Lothian and Borders Fire and Rescue Service Fire Control received the first of several 999 calls to a large shed alight at Kirk Brae, Innerwick.

Fire appliances from Dunbar and East Linton fire station and a senior officer attended the incident initially.

Group Commander David Lockhart said: “On arrival, a 47-year-old man was identified as a casualty and treated by firefighters for burns until the arrival of the Scottish Ambulance Service. Firefighters were faced with a well developed fire which had started within a large garden shed and spread to the adjacent single storey semi-detached bungalow.

“Firefighters immediately requested additional resources which attended from Haddington and worked hard to extinguish the fire and prevent further spread of the fire to other properties. At the height of the fire, four firefighters in breathing apparatus used two high-pressure hose reels to tackle the blaze. At the same time crews were dealing with the additional hazard of gas cylinders being involved in the fire.

“Investigations have identified that the fire was most likely an ‘accidental fire’. There appear to be no suspicious circumstances.”