Looking after wildlife is an emotional rollercoaster

editorial image

Last weekend we were at the BARK dog show at Castle Hills Farm. What a great venue for the show.

What was even better was that the early morning rain cleared up just as we arrived at 9.30am.

I took Janie with me. We managed to get the gazebo up by ourselves and set up our sales table.

We had the proof copy of our 2015 BSWT calendar which proved of interest to visitors.

Once we had set up our stall we looked around at the dogs. The first class was for the Happiest Dog and we both picked out a lovely really happy cross breed we called Blondie as winner. He did eventually win and we found his name was Sandy. We thought he was the nicest dog there.

We were thrilled when he won Best in Show.

We enjoyed our beef burger for lunch. Before we left Katherine handed us a cheque for £50. Many, many thanks.

When I got back just after 4pm we were told about an injured rabbit.

The poor beast had been hit by a car which had shattered a back leg.

Then a cat had found him and he was lashing out at this when he was found by Kimberley who picked him up wrapped him in a sheet and brought him up to us.

Sadly there was nothing we could do as its back leg was completely shattered so it had to be put to sleep.

When Kay joined me at the Rollo Centre she was accompanied by a gentleman bringing in a very sick hedgehog.

It was a good size but 
gurgling so he got an antibiotic injection before being put on a heat pad and getting a meal.

Sadly the poor mite was dead this morning so it has not been a happy time.

Our four ducklings have been released so all of this year’s Mallard youngsters are now away.

All our cygnets are doing well.

As I write we are waiting for Brian from R.S.P.C.A.to come up with an injured cygnet from Newcastle, more about this next week.

This week’s photograph is of our remaining young Tawny Owl.

He doesn’t seem to be growing up very fast. He is very small and still has some down on him. He is in an aviary but hides away in his box during the day.

He eats the food we are putting out, but we don’t disturb any of our ‘patients’ too much as they need to remain wild.

The second Tawny Owlet we had was much more feisty but he was a ‘red’ Tawny.

Even when he was taken for release last week he was trying to lash out with his claws when being put in and taken out of his travelling box. He flew off into the wood he came from very well.

At least we can end on a happier note.

○As ever, we’d be delighted to hear from anyone interested in volunteering for the trust, just get in touch (see details below).