Influx of wildlife keeps staff busy

editorial image

We are having a bit of a clean up after the last of the hedgehogs from the winter have finally been released.

We have two still unwell in the recovery room that have come in very recently.

We had to have one of our swans put to sleep. It was a last year cygnet which had been beaten up by a large cob. It may also have hit cables which perhaps brought the bird down in the territory of a breeding pair of swans. It was in a very sad state when it was picked up.

Kay had a long walk to collect the bird and saw the cob holding the cygnet under the water in an attempt to drown it. The poor bird ate very little and just seemed to go downhill, we gave it a while to recover from the shock but there was no improvement.

This morning it was very poor looking and we suspected it may have been brain damaged by the beating it received so we took the decision to put the bird to sleep.

It is very difficult to watch any creature suffer and we hate giving up on them but sometimes there is no other option.

On to more pleasant things, we are now getting all the orphans and lost youngsters coming in. This year we have starling, blackbird, crows, cygnets, jackdaw, tawny owlet and of course the inevitable gull chicks.

The wind last weekend has a lot to answer for.

When the babies need feeding hourly volunteers take them home until they can pick up for themselves. Kay had the tawny for a while but he is eating for himself now so is back at the Rollo Centre. He is very feisty and uses claws and beak to protest when we clean his cage but from his photo he looks like butter wouldn’t melt!

We have been moving ‘patients’ round today, putting the fitter ones outside to continue their recovery. The trouble is we then have all the paperwork, changing all the boards so that all the volunteers know where things are.

One of those we moved was Errol the tawny owl with brain damage. He was trying to get to the gull chicks in their cage, with a meal in view! He is now in an outside aviary without the distraction of tiny gull chicks.

We have a swan in at the vets for an x-ray that was collected from the railway bridge on Sunday night. We had to wait for the engineers to allow access to the bridge. Kay phoned Dick at 2.30am to say they could collect the bird. They had to wait for the West Coast sleeper to pass before they could go on the bridge.

They took the swan to the Rollo Centre but it is unable to stand so we needed to find out what injuries there were.

We are busy preparing for our Open Day on Saturday, June 20 from 11.30am to 2.30pm. We should have plenty to see and quite a few stalls. Please come along.

We are all volunteers and rely on donations to carry on our work. Two young lads have been selling cakes to raise money for us. They presented us with nearly £50. Well done lads and thank you.