Dangers of Carbon Monoxide highlighted

THERE are thought to be more than 50 accidental deaths per year in the UK from Carbon Monoxide (CO) poisoning.

And following on from the UK launch on Monday, Borders College, in association with Scottish Borders Home Safety Working Group, Scottish Borders Safer Communities Team and Carbon Monoxide Awareness Ltd, hosted the Scottish launch of Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week, yesterday, Wednesday, November 23.

CO is a colourless, odourless and toxic gas which is created by the incomplete combustion of solid liquid or gaseous fuels from engine exhausts, all fuel burning appliances, fires and boilers.

Additionally, CO can spill into the home, via cracked, disconnected, blocked or corroded flue pipes or from improperly installed or neglected appliances.

Symptoms can include drowsiness, headaches, nausea, breathlessness, memory loss, confusion and loss of muscular and circulatory function.

Paul Richardson, who is the Community Safety Officer with Scottish Borders Council, commented: “We hope this campaign will encourage all householders, tenants and landlords to ensure that all fossil fuel burning devices in the home are regularly serviced.

“The difficulty with CO is that human senses cannot detect its presence in the home. Because of this we are encouraging people to fit CO detectors as an early warning of potential danger to health.”