MP Kerr caught up in attack

Borders MP Calum Kerr found himself in the middle of a lockdown this afternoon as armed police shot a man outside the Houses of Parliament.

Wednesday, 22nd March 2017, 4:47 pm
Updated Friday, 24th March 2017, 11:06 am
Emergency services at the scene outside the Palace of Westminster, London, after policeman has been stabbed and his apparent attacker shot by officers in a major security incident at the Houses of Parliament. PRESS ASSOCIATION Photo. Picture date: Wednesday March 22, 2017. See PA story POLICE Westminster. Photo credit should read: Stefan Rousseau/PA Wire

It’s alleged the man had stabbed a police officer, and the incident is being treated as a terrorist attack.

Mr Kerr was walking from his London office to the House of Commons at the time and witnessed the aftermath.

The Berwickshire, Roxburgh and Selkirk MP told The Southern: “I was coming across from Portcullis House [where members of parliament and their staff have their offices] as a vote had been called.

Borders MP Calum Kerr speaking in the House of Commons.

“Suddenly, there was panic and people were running towards me, shouting ‘shots fired’.

“Then, armed police started running towards me, heading towards Portcullis House.

“As a result, I headed across towards the main chamber and saw what appeared to be two bodies down in New Palace Yard, surrounded by people who looked to be treating them.

“We were ushered inside and are currently in lockdown.

Borders MP Calum Kerr speaking in the House of Commons.

“My thoughts are with everyone directly affected.

“I’d like to pay tribute to the professionalism of the Parliamentary estate staff and the emergency services.”

The other MP for the Borders, Scottish secretary David Mundell, was in a meeting at the time of the incident.

His press officer Ewan McQueen told us: “He is currently in his office, in a lockdown situation.

“He has said his thoughts are with those who were caught up in the situation and he has thanked all who has asked if he is ok.”

The incident happened at around 3pm yesterday afternoon.

At the time of going to press, further reports were coming in of more incidents around the government buildings, including a car running down several people on Westminster Bridge.