Coldstream set to get high speed broadband

Share this article

BELOW par broadband is still a thorn in the side of many Berwickshire communities, but things will get significantly better for businesses in Coldstream when the town’s exchange is upgraded in the new year.

The upgrade by BT will give the town ‘a high speed communication network’ to improve matters for schools, shops and other local organisations.

BT’s sophisticated Ethernet technology allows medium-sized businesses and other organisations to opt for the guaranteed broadband speed of their choice over their own dedicated line.

Those served by the Coldstream exchange which also serves parts of neighbouring Northumberland, won’t be the only organisations in Scotland to get a broadband boost. Following upgrades to exchanges in the likes of Dunbar and Peebles, the new phase of improvements, will see upgrades in communities from Orkney to Dumfries.

Computer users will be able to choose from Ethernet speeds between one megabit per second (Mbps) and 10 Gigabits per second (Gbits), depending on their needs.

There was more good news for broadband services in the region this week with the Scottish Government stating they will contribute an initial £5 million to the South of Scotland Broadband Project. The South of Scotland currently has 0% availability of Next Generation Broadband services and the project, managed by the South of Scotland Alliance (SoSA). SoSA (a strategic partnership of Scottish Enterprise, Scottish Borders and Dumfries and Galloway Councils) aims to deliver 90% availability by the end of 2015 with a minimum connection of 2Mbps to the remaining 10%.

The Government funding pledge follows the commitment of up to £21 million from SBC and Dumfries and Galloway Council towards the project.