Child checked over after Coldstream cottage fire

A log-burning stove which caught alight sparked an emergency at a cottage in Berwickshire on Thursday, November 15.

By Staff Reporter
Friday, 16th November 2012, 8:49 am

Firefighters from Coldstream and Duns responded to the incident at the Simprim Estate cottages in Coldstream shortly before 6.30am.

On arrival, they discovered the living room of the single storey farm cottage was heavily smoke logged and an eight-year-old boy inside the property was suffering from smoke inhalation.

An ambulance was called to check the child over.

Sign up to our daily Berwickshire News Today newsletter

Fire crews wearing breathing apparatus used two high-pressure hose reels to extinguish the fire. They ventilated the property and made efforts to remove the stove from the property.

Crews left the property, after making it safe, just before 9.20am.

A spokeswoman for Lothian and Borders Fire and Rescue Service said: “Fire can break at out any time. Make sure you have a working smoke detector in your home. Test it every week. If fire does break out, get out, stay out and call us out using 999.”