Hutton Village Hall celebrated its 10th anniversary last month since replacing the original hall that dated back to 1931.
The first village hall was donated by Lady Constance Burrell, but by the end of the 20th century it was in need of work, and residents spent eight years fundraising to build a replacement.
National Lottery funding helped the village reach its target and the lord-lieutenant of Berwickshire, Alexander Trotter, officially opened the building in 2006.
Since then, it has become a hive of activity in the village, hosting various functions and clubs, including coffee mornings, whist, bowling, lunches, guild meetings, Busy Bees and the monthly dances, to name a few. Everyone in the village was invited to join in an afternoon tea in the village hall for the hall’s 10th birthday, and all who attended enjoyed the day, the sunshine, delicious food and the company of good friends and neighbours.
Jim Stobo, a trustee, thanked everyone for attending and paid tribute to residents and the committee for making sure the hall is a well-used community facility.
He also announced that to mark the event, the Hutton Village Hall committee is donating a defibrillator to be located in the village. This is in partnership with Hutton and Paxton Community Council, and it has also agreed to fund the cost of the cabinet, the installation and ongoing maintenance. The community council will organise a training session as soon as the defibrillator arrives.
For information about the hall, contact Joan Purves on 01890 818238.