But some rubbish left behind can be hazardous for your dog, so if you’re out walking your pooch it’s worth knowing that these nine items could pose a danger.
5. Chewing gum
Xylitol is widely used as a sugar substitute and in sugar-free chewing gums and mints. The Blue Cross explains that depending on the concentration of xylitol and the size of the dog, just one stick of chewing gum is enough to be toxic and make your pet very ill (Photo: Shutterstock)
6. Plastic bottles
The American Kennel Club explains that young puppies in particular can break a plastic bottle easily and can then ingest the pieces, causing a blockage that requires emergency vet care. When a plastic water bottle breaks, it also creates sharp edges that can cut your dog’s mouth (Photo: Shutterstock)
String can pose a danger to your dog if eaten (Photo: Shutterstock)
8. Silica gel
Silica gel comes in small sachets. The Blue Cross explains that although it is labelled ‘Do not Eat’, it is considered to be of low toxicity (Photo: Shutterstock)