Fundraising for centre’s own patient isolation room

We have at last managed to get quotes for the new Isolation Room at the David Rollo Centre.

By The Newsroom
Sunday, 24th August 2014, 3:37 pm
Felicity as a tiny baby
Felicity as a tiny baby

We are using the old Post-Mortem Room which also doubled up as an x-ray developing room used by David Rollo. The roof above this room has leaked for years.

Several repairs have made no difference. The whole roof needs to be taken down, extra beams put in and a new poly roof put on with an air inlet.

The inside walls will be skimmed and painted to allow us to clean easily. It has to have an expelaire fitted in the outside wall and a new door with a window on the inside so that we need not disturb any animal in the room unnecessarily.

Sign up to our daily Berwickshire News Today newsletter

This room will mean that we can easily isolate any bird or mammal that may be suspected of having a contagious disease.

There will be a large pen for swans etc and cages for smaller animals. Pen materials and cages have to be able to be thoroughly cleaned without being removed from the room. All feeding bowls and equipment have to be isolated too.

When this room is done we shall be fully compliant with all the requirements of the RSPCA for Wildlife Rehabilitation. The room will cost about £3,500 to complete and we have so far raised £1,500 of this.

The work will start early in September as it is no good leaving roofing work until the winter. We are planning to have some special fund raising events to raise the remainder. If anyone would like to help to finance this project please contact us and we will happily show you around and explain the project.

While all this work is being planned we still have our ‘patients’ to see to. This year hedgehogs have been arriving very early. We currently have 12. One of our tiny babies has been sponsored and named Felicity. The others are all doing well.

We have had a Buzzard in with us for several months to enable him to grow a new upper bill. He was involved in an RTA and broke off part of his beak.

Our worthy volunteers have had to cut up all sorts of road kill into bite size pieces for him to eat (not a pleasant job) as he was unable to tear at his food. Last week David caught him up and found that the beak had grown but was not the right shape. After a little anaesthetic he was able to file a nice point to his beak again.

We gave him (the Buzzard not the vet) a nice whole rabbit that had been killed on the road. He was a bit reluctant to try using his beak, refusing to touch it for several days. Then the smell of beautifully hung rabbit was too much and in two days he reduced it to fur and bones. Since then he has eaten everything he has been offered so he is ready to go now.

It has taken a long time to get him back to fitness but hopefully next spring he will meet up with a female and will forget his time in captivity.

That’s all for this week.