Greenlaw’s McLean moves on to take Gala Fairydean post

Gala Rovers 5

Greenlaw 1

GREENLAW manager Jim McLean, who has been linked with the managerial position at East of Scotland side Gala Fairydean, resigned with immediate effect from the Border Amateur club on Sunday.

They informed the club the day after Greenlaw crashed out of the Border Cup with a 5-1 defeat to Gala Rovers in their semi final.

Greenlaw always new they were in for a tough game, and struggled to adapt to the 3G playing surface at Netherdale.

Gala took the game to the Berwickshire side from the start, and despite giving a good account of themselves, Greenlaw fell victim to a heavy scoreline after failing to convert their chances.

Gala took an early lead when their striker found the back of the net with an overhead scissor kick that gave David Catlin no chance in the Greenlaw goal. They doubled their lead soon after when the Greenlaw defence was caught out by a bouncing long ball and the same striker made it 2-0.

The visitors battled on and pulled a goal back on 20 minutes when Chris Black was brought down in the box and Lee Hannan converted the resulting penalty. An Alan Redpath header from a corner was then blocked on the line, and Jack Galbraith had a chance to put Greenlaw back on level terms when he went one on one with the Gala keeper before the break, but he failed to capitalise.

Unfortunately Greenlaw started the second half as they did the first; conceding two quick goals. They rallied again and William Smillie went close on a couple of occasions but the visitors continued to fail to put their chances away.

Greenlaw pushed bodies up the park looking for that elusive second goal, and Gala got their fifth on the break.

The Greenlaw committee were due to meet on Tuesday evening to discuss their sudden managerial vacancy.

Chirnside Utd4

Hearts of Liddesdale3

CHIRNSIDE made the long journey to Newcastleton on Saturday to take on newly promoted Hearts of Liddesdale and came home with the three points in the bag.

Chirnside began the game brightly and it was no surprise that they took the lead in ten minutes. Windram cut through the defence and tucked his shot away into the bottom corner of the net. Condy added number two when he beat the keeper with a neat finish.

Minutes after securing the two goal cushion Chirnside let the home team back in it when their midfielder hit a shot into the top corner after a corner was only partially cleared.

The second half kicked off with the home team pushing hard for the equaliser. That duly came on the 50 minute mark when a cross from the right was met by their striker who took the ball down and volleyed another shot into the top corner leaving Cowe with no chance.

Chirnside re-grouped and began to play the football that had given them a two goal lead in the first half. Condy who was a danger all afternoon scored his second of the game when he latched on to Young’s through ball and beat the keeper at the second attempt.

The lead however, was again short lived as the home team scored direct from a corner with the help of a slight deflection from a Chirnside head.

With 15 minutes left to play Chirnside secured the win when Condy beat the offside trap to place home a great shot and complete his hat-trick.

Chirnside Utd Colts1

Tweedmouth Am Colts0

A LATE goal from M. Tweedie saw Chirnside United Colts go through to the final of the Collie Cup on Saturday.

It took a great save from keeper J. Lugget and the help of a post to keep out this very well drilled Tweedmouth side who totally dominated the first half and restricted Chirnside to only a couple of half chances which fell to P. Blacklock and D. Romanies who were just off target.

Fullbacks M. Lawson and R. Wood had to be on their game to keep the two wide players of Tweedmouth at bay who, with their pace, were Tweedmouth’s main threat.

On 20 minutes Tweedmouth did break through the Chirnside defence but keeper Lugget pulled off a great save. On the half hour mark the post and some superb defending from Stanton and R. Blaikie came to Chirnside’s rescue.

Roles were reversed in the second half and it was Chirnside who had the majority of the chances, but Tweedmouth defended solidly to thwart the Chirnside strikers.

The Tweedmouth keeper came out on top when Junior broke through to go one on one and he also did well from a couple of snapshots from Romanies and G. Patterson.

A fine free kick from Lawson went close and a long effort from Wood was deflected just over the bar.

A corner from Blacklock was cleared off the line from a Romanies’ header and another shot from Junior was well saved.

Chirnside finally got the breakthrough when a fine passage of play from the Chirnside midfielders ended up with Tweedie firing in a shot from 20 yards which gave the Tweedmouth Keeper no chance.

Duns Amateurs3

Langholm Legion2

DUNS Amateurs took full points from their match against Langholm Legion on Saturday.

Langholm were first to have an effort on goal when a short back pass from Keenan was intercepted, the striker rounded Dixon in the Duns goal only to see his effort hit the side netting. After this early scare Duns were the dominant side but were unable to break the deadlock with Burns and Curruthers both going close for the home side.

From the start of the second half Duns were on the front foot and Burns opened the scoring after rounding the keeper to score,

Curruthers had to be substituted after a bad knee injury allowing 15-year-old Robie Aitchison to make his Duns debut.

Burns doubled the Duns advantage when the ball dropped to him in the box and he fired home.

Duns then made their second substitution introducing another 15-year-old Josh Dancaster to make his second apperance for the club.

The Dingers made it 3-0 when Jonny Waugh’s great run ended with an unstoppable shot into the top corner from 25 yards out.

Langholm came back into the game and scored when their striker broke clear and fired past Dixon and they made the score look more respectable with the last kick of the game when Matthewson handled in the Duns box and Langholm scored from the penalty.