Tweedmouth Rangers lose out in final of the Anderson Cup

editorial image

Tweedmouth Rangers missed out on the first NNL silverware of the season when they were beaten in the final of the Anderson Cup on Saturday.

Rangers, who won two cups last season, faced Shilbottle in the showdown at St James’ Park, Alnwick, but they lost out 3-0.

The Shilbottle goalscorers were Matty Graham, Josh Hay and Chris Graham.

Whilst there was disappointment for the Berwick side, they will have a chance to redeem themselves this weekend when they face local rivals Springhill in the final of the Sanderson Cup.

The game is being played off at Shielfield on Friday (kick-off 7pm).

And in what is a busy weekend for them, Rangers will then attempt to make it a third successive final appearance when they face Craster in the semi-finals of the Bilclough Cup on Saturday afternoon - two games in less than 24 hours!

The winners will go on to meet Amble St Cuthbert in the final after they beat Lowick 2-0 in the other semi on Saturday. The Amble goalscorers were Reece Ramsay and Joe Henderson.

Another final is due to be played this weekend, with Amble St Cuthbert taking on Wansbeck in the final of the Runciman Cup on Saturday - venue and kick-off time still to be confirmed.

Meanwhile, Duns won through to the final of the Laidler - Lancaster Cup with a 2-1 extra-time victory over Alnmouth United.

Jamie Lackenby and Stephen Burns were both on target for the Berwickshire side, the opposition goal coming from John Winter.

Duns, who finished third in the table in their first season in the North Northumberland League, will meet either Shilbottle or Bamburgh Castle in the final, those two sides meeting in the second semi-final this weekend.

In the first division there was a big win for Red Row, who beat Rothbury 7-1. Sean Palmer netted twice, with Mark Smith, Jack Small, Luke Baston, Darren Smith and Sean Black also on target. Rothbury’s lone reply came from Matt Crane.

In division two there was a local derby clash between Craster and Embleton, with visitors Embleton taking the bragging rights with a 3-1 away win.

Lynemouth Anglers also won 3-1 away to Hedgeley Rovers. jack latta scored twice with their other goal coming from Andrew Neil. The Hedgeley goal was scored by Richard Johnson.