Eyemouth clinch narrow derby win over Duns

Eyemouth v Duns
Eyemouth v Duns

EYEMOUTH UNITED 1 DUNS 0: Eyemouth kept their faltering promotion push on course with a narrow home win earned with a lot of effort and a bit of luck.

Duns arrived at Warner Park in the middle of a tough run of fixtures, by the end of which they will have faced the top three teams in the division.

A goalless draw against leaders Coldstream gave them the belief that they could thwart Eyemouth, and while they soaked up intense pressure during the first half, the visitors could and should have gone in one up.

In virtually their first meaningful foray into the Eyemouth half, the ball fell to Kieran Lee at the edge of the box. He lashed it with venom against the crossbar, the ball clearly bouncing well behind the goal line, but the referee declined to give it.

That set the pattern for much of the game, with Duns reduced mostly to shots from distance - not the easiest prospect to deal with in the swirling winds.

They may have been to blame for the only goal of the game, a flicked header from George Windram at an Eyemouth corner.

There was a suspicion that the referee might have been evening things up after the phantom goal when he declined to blow for what looked like an Eyemouth penalty as Lough was bundled over chasing into the box.

As the game got stretched, more chances were created, in differing styles. The Duns midfield was a platform for several through balls that posed questions of the Eyemouth defence and keeper Tansey, but a lack of cutting edge and perhaps a touch too many on occasion meant they went begging.

Eyemouth, meanwhile, struggled to impose control once they were ahead, although they did produce the best passing sequence of the match, switching the focus of their attack several times before a sliderule pass from Shennan almost put Jess through.

Shennan thought he’d simplified matters late on with a smart volley over his shoulder, only to be called offside.

Lumsden was called upon to make a fine save late on, and the keeper also made a surge into the Eyemouth box for a Duns corner, but could make no impact as the ball floated harmlessly out.

“It was a scrappy game, no doubt about it,” said Eyemouth manager Carl Hudson afterwards. “Credit to Duns, they’re always well set up and organised, but I thought that we got something like our real game going after a very nervous start.

“All things considered, we’ll be happy with the three points, that’s what’s most important.”

Duns assistant manager Stevie Lennon was in an equivocal mood.

“Obviously, the lads are a bit disappointed, but I’m telling them not to be too down. We’ve played the top two teams, and got a 0-0 and a 1-0 loss. That’s not so bad, considering.

“It was a very even game, everybody would have seen that. Nobody who saw the game would have known which team was second in the league and which was in mid-table. We can’t be too down.”

He continued: “Now we can go and get ourselves up for the game against Craigroyston.”

And Lennon hit the road with some good news. He revealed that Conor Devaney should be back from injury for that match, and that James Brydon, who went off still struggling with the after-effects of his broken toe, would also be fit enough to feature.

Eyemouth United: Tansey, Jess, Windram, Spears, Walker, Clark, Bolton, Adamson, Phillips, Shennan, Lough.

Duns: Lumsden, Weatherburn, Lee, Stewart, Renton, Douglas, Waugh, Brydon (Renton, 80), Lauder, McPherson (Leslie), Graham (Cornish, 74).