Duns 3-2 Tynecastle

Action from Duns against Tynecastle in the first competitive match played at New Hawthorn Park.
Action from Duns against Tynecastle in the first competitive match played at New Hawthorn Park.

History was made on Saturday as Duns played their first competitive game on their New Hawthorn Park pitch and recorded an excellent victory over Premier Division opponents Tynecastle.

The victory now means that Duns have qualified from their section for the East of Scotland League Cup and are the only First Division club to have made it through.

However, the Dingers made it hard for themselves by squandering a three goal lead and letting visitors Tynecastle back into the game with two late headed goals.

Against a strong wind Duns started this match in confident fashion and played some good football. However, more often than not their progress was halted on the edge of the opposition’s box and their threat fizzled out.

Tynecastle hit Duns on the break a couple of times and had it not been for some poor finishing and a couple of good saves from Duns keeper Tansey they could well have edged in front.

Duns continued to take the game to their opponents and they were eventually rewarded after 36 minutes when the Tynecastle keeper could only parry an effort from Michael Stewart and in-form Duns striker Michael Robinson pounced on the loose ball to find the net.

Play swung from end to end for the remainder of the first half but neither keeper was really tested.

The second half saw Duns have to rejig their defence following the loss of the injured Dougie Brydon. He was replaced by Garry Renton.

Just a minute after the restart Tynecastle gifted Duns a second goal. A pass back was fumbled by the visiting keeper and his attempted clearance fell to the feet of that man Robinson again who gladly slotted the ball into an empty net.

Two minutes later it was 3-0! This time a great through ball found Michael Stewart who didn’t break his stride and hammered in a great shot from just outside the box.

For some reason Duns started to find it difficult to hold onto the ball and Tynecastle hauled themselves back into the game. A cross from the left found the Duns defence at sixes and sevens and was headed home.

In the very last minute the visitors reduced the leeway with another headed goal following a cross from the left but the Dingers held on.

Duns: Tansey, Burns, Walker, McHoul, D Brydon (Renton), J Brydon, Weatherburn, Stewart, Robinson, Chisholm, Waddell (Ainslie).