Rangers put O’Brien up for transfer

Berwick Rangers striker Kenny O'Brien in action v Culter in the Scottish Cup replay at Shielfield. Picture by Zoltan Simonffy
Berwick Rangers striker Kenny O'Brien in action v Culter in the Scottish Cup replay at Shielfield. Picture by Zoltan Simonffy

Berwick Rangers have made Kenny O’Brien available for transfer or loan transfer next season.

The 20 year-old made 30 appearances for the first team last season, including 12 as a substitute, when he scored four goals.

Only last week the midfield/forward was named as one of 16 players retained from the 2013-14 squad, but on Friday it was confirmed his name was being circulated to other clubs.

Any clubs from the SPFL, Lowland League, East of Scotland League, as well as the Juniors, have been invited to make contact through club secretary Dennis McCleary.

O’Brien, who has featured as a winger or striker, and has also filled in at central midfield for the reserves, made a storming start to the 2013/2014 season, but then found himself frustrated when a dip in form saw him struggle to nail down a regular place in the side.

He had not featured in the first team since February 22, and according to a statement on the club app, the decision to make him available for transfer followed talks with manager Colin Cameron.

Berwick, who are hoping to operate a first team squad of 21 or 22 players, are still waiting on news with regards to last year’s leading scorers, Lee Currie and Darren Lavery.

The pair, who netted 35 goals between them, have both been offered contracts for ther 2014-15 season, but have indicated they would like to make the step up to full-time football if the opportunity arises.

Berwick rejected offers for the pair in the January transfer window, and player-manager Cameron says he will not stand in their way if they want to make progress with their careers, although he admits it will be a blow.

Meanwhile, Berwick have confirmed their willingness to help ‘old boy’ Stuart Markland, who is now suffering from ill health.

The 66 year-old, who left the club to join Dundee United in 1968, now finds himself housebound.

Two former Berwick players, Russell Craig and John Keith, are currently trying to raise funds for an electric wheelchair so Stuart can achieve a better quality of life.

To this end they have enlisted the help of a company called ‘Mobility Matters,’ owned by Allan Law of Stonehouse, Lanarkshire, who in the past has supplied Glasgow Rangers FC under Walter Smith, with chairs for people with disabilities.

An assessment has been carried out on Stuart and Russell and John would be very grateful for any possible assistance in raising funds to help achieve their goal.

A notice posted on the Berwick Rangers’ website said buying the wheelchair for Stuart would be ‘a giant step forward for his quality of life in the future.’

Any money raised will go directly into a Bank of Scotland account under The Stuart Markland Disability Fund, account number 123566, sort code 80-22-60.