Rangers’ boss targets more new signings

Dougie Brydon'Berwick Rangers v Rangers
Dougie Brydon'Berwick Rangers v Rangers

Berwick Rangers return to training tonight (Thursday) with manager Colin Cameron admitting that he is still looking to sign another ‘two or three’ players.

Cameron has missed out on two or three targets over the past few weeks, a situation which he admits is ‘disappointing.’

“We had even agreed terms with one player,” he said, “but then the deal broke down.

“It’s unfortunate, but that happens in football sometimes, so now we have to look elsewhere.”

So far Berwick have only made one new signing - midfielder Scott Maxwell from east Stirling.

Cameron says one of the drawbacks of running a part-time team is that some players will miss part of pre-season due to holidays.

“They will be left playing catch-up,” he said, “but hopefully we will have a big enough squad to cover.”

One player hoping to make an impression over the coming weeks is Duns-based Dougie Brydon. The central defender missed the whole of last season with an ongoing groin/hip injury.

“I haven’t seen Doug play,” said Cameron, “so I will be effectively looking at him as a trailist, and if he shows enough he will be offered a contract.”

Rangers will also run a reserve team in 2014-15, but next season they will play in the SPFL Reserve League after withdrawing from the East of Scotland.

And following the departure of manager Mark Lamb, Cameron says the plan now is to appoint another coach, who will work alongside him, but with the responsiobility of running the reserves.

“We have decided against appointing a reserve team manager,” said Cameron, “so effectively both teams will come under the one umbrella.

“As the Reserve League games are all played in mid-week, the hope is that we can loan some of the players out to other clubs so they can also play on a Saturday.”

Cameron, who was appointed midway through last season, was recently linked with the vacant manager’s job at Falkirk, but he described this as ‘pure speculation.’

“It was simply newspaper talk,” he said. “Someone told me about it when I was on holiday, but I was away recharging my batteries and I didn’t concern myself about it.

“If Falkirk had been interested in my they would have gone through the proper channels by contacting the club.

“As it is I am now looking forward to the new season with Berwick. We have a few pre-season friendlies arranged, including one at home which has yet to be confirmed.

“We should have one or two players in training with us. Some might feature in the friendlies and if any of them catch my eye they might be offered a contract.”