DCSIMG

Bandits to name their 2013 line-up

editorial image

editorial image

 

BERWICK, who have still to officially announce their intention to run next season, plan to name their entire starting line-up this weekend.

The Bandits, who are still searching for a major team sponsor, will unveil all seven riders at a fans’ forum which is being held in the Black and Gold on Friday (December 7) at 7.30pm.

But the side will not include Sebastian Alden who last week revealed his intention to go Elite League with King’s Lynn in 2013.

This is seen as a major blow for the club’s team-building plans as the Swede was included in every permutation being considered by team manager Ian Rae.

Rae admitted later he was ‘gutted’ at the news, but said he was fully understanding of Alden’s decision.

“Seb has been in discussions with us and for family and personal reasons feels he cannot commit to Premier League racing in 2013,” said Rae.

“This has meant him often being away from Friday to Monday each week and with more and more Premier tracks racing weekends it has not helped. With this in mind he has expressed a desire to race full time Elite League and he has now agreed a deal to join King’s Lynn who are completely reshaping their side.”

Alden, whose contract was originally bought from Swindon, was a firm favourite with the Berwick fans and is the current track record holder at Shielfield.

He was a member of Berwick’s PL Fours winning side at Peterborough last season and only recently was named as the Berwick Supporters’ Club ‘Rider of the Year.’

Rae admitted: “This is a blow to any team plans of course as Seb was in all our possible equations and is such a talented rider in the PL. But we move on no matter what and we also push ahead to try and secure the major sponsorship we need to cement plans for 2013.”

The Berwick promotional team will meet fans and outline their plans for 2013 when they attend Friday’s forum.

Their intention is to name their entire starting line-up and the hope is that two of the riders, including one possible new face, will be in attendance.

Only last week Berwick announced admission prices for next season, which will be set at £12 for adults, whilst season tickets are being made available at £160.

The club has also been awarded the BEN Fund meeting next March and the FIM World U21 Final (British round) next August.

But despite all this the club has not confirmed officially yet their intention to run.

Over recent months they have made repeated calls for further investment to help make the sport more viable on Tweedside and the main stumbling block in this appears to be the lack of a major team sponsor following the loss of A&J Scott (sawmills) who backed the club for the previous three years.

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page