One hundred years ago the inside of Swinton kirk was totally re-designed and re-decorated, and the roof was raised.
To commemorate 100 years of the renovated kirk a service will be held on Sunday, July 31, at 11.15am.
The order of service will follow the service of 100 years ago with the same psalms and paraphrases.
A special cake will be cut and shared out to all the worshippers and tea, coffee, juice will be also be served.
The architect of the renovations was Robert Lorimer who later became the architect of the Scottish National War Memorial in Edinburgh.
The pews, floor and the pulpit area were all renewed in a light wood. The lovely wooden furniture was made by students from the Kensington School of Art.
They also crafted the two posts at the edge of the pulpit platform which are both topped with a beautiful carving of a boar under a tree.
These carvings were placed there to link the renovation with the Swinton family whose original coat of arms was a wild boar under a tree.
Whilst the improvements were being made an effigy was found in the south wall which had been covered over for centuries. It is of Sir Alan Swinton who died in 1200 and is one of the oldest effigies in Scotland and has a large boar and three little boars’ heads engraved above the figure.
Everyone is welcome to Swinton Kirk on Sunday for this celebration.