Neighbour hailed for blaze rescue in Dunbar

editorial image
0
Have your say

A man who saved his neighbour from a house fire has been praised as a life-saver.

Firefighters were called to the blaze in Ashfield Court, Dunbar at around 8.30pm on Sunday.

A candle had sparked the fire in the living room of the property, trapping a woman in an upstairs bedroom, but before firefighters arrived a neighbour used a ladder to reach the bedroom window and help the woman to safety.

Another neighbour had also tried to help the woman by breaking down the front door of the house but could not reach her due to heavy smoke, the fire service said.

The rescued woman was treated at the scene for smoke inhalation but did not require hospital treatment.

Three fire appliances were sent to the incident and six firefighters extinguished the flames.

A spokeswoman for the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service said: “Thick smoke meant the woman couldn’t get down the stairs and out of the house.

“A neighbour climbed a ladder and rescued her before officers arrived. Another man had also tried to get through the front door of the house to reach the woman.

“The officer in command of the incident commended the actions of the neighbours which helped save the life of the woman.”