The Inner Wheel Club of Eastern Borders was caught up with Fiona Glover’s enthusiasm when she told the story of how she became involved in the expansion of ‘The Eyemouth Fort Project.
Two years ago, Fiona was walking on Eyemouth’s Fort Point when she noticed a rusty, old sign lying on the ground and awaiting bin collection. The sign aroused her interest and has led to the discovery of a story about one of the most important forts in Europe.
Built in 1547 Eyemouth Fort was the first of its kind in Europe. It was demolished in 1550 under the ‘Treaty of Boulogne’ but rebuilt by d’Oisel and at that time held 500 French troops. It was demolished again under the ‘Treaty of Chateau-Cambresis in 1559.