A concerned resident has been left baffled by Scottish Borders Council’s decision to approve new houses on land which has severely flooded twice in the last 10 years.
But the applicant, farmer Jim Wood, says as far as he’s concerned he has gone through all the proper channels and he is satisfied that there isn’t an issue.
The plans for two new homes at Lamberton Shiels were given the green light by council planning officers on July9 – much to the surprise of Ken Henderson, who lives in an existing neighbouring property.
He has lived at Lamberton with his wife since 2004 and has seen the land for the proposed development hit by flood waters twice in his time there.
He has been in regular correspondence with SBC’s planning department about the plans and has been left disappointed by the responses he’s had since they were approved last month.
“I don’t think it’s crazy that he wants two new houses but I do think it’s crazy that he wants to build them there,” Mr Henderson commented.
“2010 was an absolutely awful year for rain and that land was absolutely swamped then on more than one occasion.
“I just don’t understand how the council can approve a development for the land in question.
“I will be the first person to knock on both doors when the owners move to tell them the history of the land on which their houses are built.”
In a letter to Mr Henderson on August 13, an SBC planning officer told him that proper procedures were followed.
Statutory consultees included the Council’s Flood Officer and SEPA (Scottish Environmental Protection Agency) were involved and the risk of flooding was assessed and on that basis, having taken flood risk into consideration, permission was granted as sought.
Giving his side, Mr Wood said: “I’m disappointed and rather astonished that neighbours are seeing the houses as something controversial.
“I can’t see why anyone would object.
“I’ve no concerns and I’ve gone through all the proper channels- SBC, building control, SEPA and everyone is satisfied.
“I’m hoping work will start soon. “