Be extra vigilant this Christmas says fire service
IT’S not something we think about every day, but the reality is that there were over 6,000 house fires in Scotland last year, most of which happened to people who never thought they were at risk.
In almost half of these fires, there was no working smoke alarm installed, or no smoke alarm at all.
As Christmas approaches, people are being encouraged to make sure they take simple steps to reduce the chances of having a fire in the home – the most important step being to install working smoke alarms and test them weekly.
And with smoking and drinking continuing to be common factors in accidental house fires in Scotland, being extra vigilant when putting out cigarettes and avoiding cooking whilst under the influence of alcohol can significantly reduce the risk.
Alex Clark, Chief Fire Officer at Lothian and Borders Fire and Rescue Service said: “Firefighters know all too well that fire can strike at anytime and anywhere.
“We respond to these incidents every day in Scotland and we see the devastating consequences of accidental house fires and the impact they have on families and our communities.
“Last year, over 1,200 people were hurt or injured as a result of fire in the home.
“Historically as we go into the winter months we see a rise in the number of accidental fires, due to people spending more time in their homes, an increased reliance on heaters, tumble dyers and electric blankets and the use of log and coal burning fires.
“I would urge people to take the time to think about taking up the opportunity of a free Home Fire Safety Visit from their local Fire and Rescue Service. It could save your life one day.”
To request a free Home Fire Safety Visit, text FIRE to 61611 or visit www.dontgivefireahome.org.
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Duns
Tuesday 21 May 2013
Temperature: 7 C to 15 C
Wind Speed: 10 mph
Wind direction: North
Temperature: 3 C to 12 C
Wind Speed: 23 mph
Wind direction: West