The last in the current series of Flodden 1513 Ecomuseum project excavations is taking place at Ladykirk, immediately north of Norham Castle.
The archaeology team hopes to unearth the key to the Scottish attack on the castle, the location of the Scottish artillery emplacement.
A geophysics report shows evidence of hidden anomalies at the site and historical records reveal that the Scottish armies brought with them huge cannons to attack the walls of Norham Castle and it is believed that this is the site where these cannons stood.
Alistair Bowden, Flodden 1513 Project coordinator, explains: “We are hoping to find a cobbled hard standing which would have been essential for the cannons to stand on. If we are lucky we may also find evidence of ancient gabions made from wicker baskets containing compacted earth and stones, which would have served as a defensive wall to protect the Scottish cannons brought down from Edinburgh, against the smaller cannon fire from the castle itself.”
The dig will last 11 days, September 3-14, and the team are looking for volunteers. Email Richard Carlton on email@example.com.
Lasting for four years, the Flodden 1513 project aims to raise the profile of Battle of Flodden and leave a lasting legacy for communities in north Northumberland and the Scottish Borders. The £1.3m project, funded by the Heritage Lottery Fund, is the UK’s first cross-border ecomuseum.
The Flodden 1513 Ecomuseum started by linking together 12 sites that have an intimate connection with the story of Flodden (churches, bridges, castles, museums and of course the battlefield itself) and has now grown to its current 41 sites. The Flodden 1513 Education Programme is an integral and important element of this project.