Jim Clark Rally: organisers say they will stage event in 2015

Picture: Kimberley Powell
Picture: Kimberley Powell

Organisers of the Jim Clark Rally have announced that they are planning to stage the event in May next year – after Scottish Borders Council said it could not be held.

Promoters released a statement today saying that they intend to hold a rally in Berwickshire next year, and that they are considering alternative formats.

It follows the abandonment of this year’s closed-roads event in Berwickshire, when three spectators were killed after being struck by a competing car.

The accident promoted investigations from the police and the sport’s governing body and a review of motorsport safety.

Scottish Borders Council said last week that the rally could not be held in May 2015 because detailed planning could not begin with investigations still ongoing.

A Facebook campaign launched over the weekend gathered thousands of supporters looking to see the event reinstated.

Promoters now insist they plan to stage an event on the weekend of May 30-31.

A statement read: “There will be an event next year on the weekend of 30/31 May. As yet, the format of this 45th running of the rally has to be decided.

“The organising team are working with MPs, MSPs and other relevant authorities to ensure that an event worthy of the name and reputation of twice F1 World Champion Jim Clark will be staged in his home county of Berwickshire.

“The huge team of volunteers behind the organisation of this event have been greatly encouraged by the amount of public support, both locally and nationally, that they have received for the event to continue.”

Organisers thanked MSP John Lamont and MO Michael Moore for their support and said their announcement had the support of the Scottish Rally Championship and the Scottish Tarmack Rally Championship.

The statement continued: “Planning for the 2015 event is already underway, although the final format of the event has yet to be decided as the promoters are considering numerous options.

“Further information will be available in due course.”

A Scottish Borders Council spokesman said: “The decision on the running of the Jim Clark Memorial Rally in May 2015 was not taken lightly, and followed discussions and advice from Police Scotland.

“In relation to an alternative event, we would need to hear what the organisers are proposing before we can consider whether that is possible or not.”