Family hospitalised after Preston fire

0
Have your say

Four members of the same family have been taken to hospital with suspected carbon monoxide poisoning after a chimney fire at their home in Preston.

Fire crews from Duns fire station were mobilised by Operations Control Edinburgh around 5.49pm on Wednesday, September 11, to attend the blaze at Law View.

Firefighters fought the fire from the roof ridge using chimney gear, a 9M ladder, roof ladder and buckets to extinguish the fire.

The chimney fire was caused by a blocked flu in the chimney allowing carbon monoxide fumes to enter the house.

The four occupants living in the house- a man, woman and their two children- were all taken to Borders General Hospital suffering from the effects of carbon monoxide poisoning.

A spokesperson for The Scottish Fire and Rescue Service said: “With the colder, winter months looming, people will begin to start using open fires and their chimneys again.

“In order to keep you and your family safe from fire, you need to take necessary steps such as ensuring your chimney is swept regularly, and we would urge all householders to have a working smoke alarm in their home.

“This week is National Chimney Safety Week and we would like to remind householders to get sweeping and ensure their chimneys are safe following these simple tips:”

*Keep chimneys and flues clean and well maintained

*Make sure embers are properly put out before you go to bed

*Always use a fire guard to protect against flying sparks from hot embers

*Ensure that you have a working smoke alarm fitted. This will give you give you the vital early warning to a fire.