Coldstream house fire

Coldstream Fire Station.
Coldstream Fire Station.

A man was treated for smoke inhalation by firefighters after a kitchen fire at a house in Coldstream on Sunday, May 15.

Coldstream and Kelso Scottish Fire and Rescue Service (SFRS) retained crews were on the scene within five minutes of the 999 call and wearing breathing apparatus they quickly put out the flames at the property in Cheviot Terrace before ventilating the house.

Firefighters cared for the man by providing oxygen therapy until the arrival of the ambulance.

He did not require hospital treatment.

The fire and rescue crews then visited neighbouring homes to offer residents fire safety advice and reassurance before leaving the scene just after 8pm.

Anyone can arrange a free home fire safety visit by calling SFRS on the freephone number 0800 073 1999, by texting ‘FIRE’ to 80800 or by filling in a form at www.firescotland.gov.uk.

The short visits by local crews are scheduled for a time that suits the householder and allow firefighters to help residents prevent fires and the tragedies they cause.

As well as highlighting potential hazards and helping people take simple steps to address them, they also allow firefighters to check everyone in a home would get early warning in an emergency and install working smoke alarms where they are needed.

Most house fires begin in the kitchen and SFRS crews throughout the country routinely provide advice and support to help residents make it less likely they will experience such an emergency.

People are also advised to consider having a heat alarm installed in the kitchen, where the devices provide further early warning of a fire without activating due to small amounts of cooking-related smoke.