Ann Winifred Lyon Wilson Smith, the only daughter of Kenneth Charles Corsar of Cairniehill, was born on April 17, 1928 at Rubislaw, Edinburgh. Ann died peacefully in the Knoll Hospital, Duns, on Saturday, February 15, 2014.
She was educated at St Monica’s, Lansdowne Crescent, Edinburgh, evacuated during the war to Bellwood, Milton Bridge. She then attended St Leonard’s School, St Andrews from 1941 to 1946 where she was both Head and Captain of her house, Bishopshall West and was the first to hold both positions.
Ann also achieved first school team colours for hockey and half colours for lacrosse and was a member of the first school couple for fives.
Subsequently Ann went on to represent The Edinburgh Ladies and Scottish Ladies Lacrosse teams.
Ann’s first association with the services was in the 1939-45 war when she received a certificate from The Overseas League which certified that “Ann Corsar has helped to provide comfort and contentment to the Soldiers, Sailors and Airmen of the British Commonwealth, who have rallied to the cause of safeguarding freedom, justice and security.”
Ann then went on to qualify in shorthand and typing and then worked for a short time in the library of Edinburgh University. From January 1954 until December 1960 Ann was Matron to Loretto Junior School (The Nippers). Amongst the boys was Norman Lamont, later to become Chancellor of the Exchequer, and several Berwickshire farmers.
One of the boys, Michael Mavor went on to become Headmaster.
In 1960, Ann was one of a number of ladies, who each embroidered, with great skill, bandstand banners for the band of 8th Battalion The Royal Scots.
Ann married Jock on 14th April 1961 and after following the flag with army postings, settled in Cumledge House, becoming involved with charity work.
She was Assistant County Commissioner for the Guides and helped with the Duns Brownies. While her youngest daughter, Jane, was at Primary school Ann won the mother’s race at Duns Primary School. She was one of the team selling second-hand clothes for the charity “Kids for Kids” in Duns.
Ann was active with the Women’s Royal Voluntary Service (as it was then called) and was awarded the long service medal and clasp. She also worked as a driver, and did meals on wheels and the hospital trolley.
She was one of the founder members of the Duns Lunch Club, which provided meals each Wednesday lunch time for older members of the community recommended by the Health Board. She was Club Chairman for 15 years.
Ann was a regular attender at Duns swimming pool three times a week, swimming one mile each time.
In 2003 the pool was closed for refurbishment. That Summer was particularly warm and sunny, so Ann obtained a modern bicycle, one with 21 gears and a milometer.
Over a period of three and a half months she clocked up over 1,000 miles on the byways of the Borders. Not bad for a 75 year old.
Her last appointment in 2003 was as an Elder of the Church of Scotland, a lifetime appointment.
Ann will always be remembered as a devoted wife, mother to Susan, Caroline and Jane and grandmother to her 8 Grandchildren; Peter, Rachel, Jamie, Charlie, Georgina, Jock, Mary and Sarah .
She inherited from her mother all the skills and attributes necessary for running a happy home
There is no doubt that in an age when discipline and family ties tend to become fragmented, the family bonds are strong and will endure.