Art exhibition raises funds for upkeep of wildlife trust

editorial image

Last Friday evening Kay, Jackie and me went to Duns where Tom Kennedy was having an exhibition of his paintings to raise funds for the Trust.

When we arrived we were met by Tom followed by Carol waving a Trust collection box with great enthusiasm, we felt duty bound to produce our purses and search for coins before we looked around.

There were plenty of Tom’s paintings on show. He paints in a very bright and bold, cheerful way. His paintings of boats were, I thought, particularly good.

After having a good look round we had a cup of tea and a biscuit. We were encouraged by Carol to look at the raffle prizes, so we all bought tickets.

We sat for a while watching as Tom had his photograph taken in front of one of his paintings.

We noticed that several of them were marked with ‘sold’ stickers. While we were sitting watching the proceedings Carol returned with her collecting box! More money left our purses.

We were about to leave when Tom told us that the raffle was about to be drawn so we decided to stay a little longer. Just as well we did as each of us won a prize.

We had a very enjoyable evening, all three of us had empty purses but we had lovely raffle prizes. The photograph this week shows Tom in front of one of his paintings of the Tweed.

Tom brought us in the money this week. The exhibition had raised the magnificent sum of £130.

Very well done Tom and of course Carol and their helpers. They also brought in their home collecting boxes which added another £20 to the total.

Eildon Care together with Lanark Lodge are very good supporters of the Trust. They volunteer with their carers two days each week hosing the pens, preparing food and washing the floors. They are very important to us.

This week we managed to release two of our swans which has reduced the number in the Big Pond

Sadly one of the Cygnets that had been giving us cause for concern as it did not seem to ‘do’ like the others, had to be put to sleep. The poor bird was just fading away there was nothing to show what was wrong. It was just getting weaker.

We decided that £80 for a full blood test was probably going to be a waste of money at this stage, it may not have shown what the problem was anyway.

We also released a Tawny Owl which had been found in the road around Chirnside.

The bird came in shaken up and untidy but after he was checked out- not easy as it was a Red Tawny therefore stroppy - he was put in a cage to sort himself out.

For a couple of days he was not eating and looked very cross so we had to force feed him a mouse.

This did the trick and he ate for himself after that. He was lucky he had no lasting damage. Now he has been returned to the place he was found.

That’s all for this week.